What's new
What's new

Restoration of Gaertner Toolmaker Microscope

Tony -

Thanks for posting that OMT history. It was very interesting reading but sad to see how yet another really high class company went down.

The part about the fantastic finish on OMT equipment is absolutely correct. My toolmakers microscope is very old, but apart from a few very small chips, the cream paint is still beautiful. All the steel parts that are handled are stainless and the whole instrument feels superb.

Thornewmexico,

If you are still around the forum please check your Private Messages. I have a question about the handwheels on your Gaertner Toolmakers Microscope.

Thanks,
Bob

Conrad,

No Classified Information request, I just did not want to clutter up the Forum, But, I guess I will in the quest for information.

I want to remove the graduated knob/handwheel on a Gaertner Linear Slide, clean up and lube project. I got the crank piece off, no problem. However, the graduated hub, after removing the set screw, seemed to be a very tight fit or retained by magic. I am quite adept at forcing and breaking things so I am hoping to get some experience based information before resorting to brute force.

Bob

Conrad,

No Classified Information request, I just did not want to clutter up the Forum, But, I guess I will in the quest for information.

I want to remove the graduated knob/handwheel on a Gaertner Linear Slide, clean up and lube project. I got the crank piece off, no problem. However, the graduated hub, after removing the set screw, seemed to be a very tight fit or retained by magic. I am quite adept at forcing and breaking things so I am hoping to get some experience based information before resorting to brute force.

Bob

Have you reached out to Gaertner, they're still in business?

About Gaertner Scientific Corporation — Gaertner Scientific Corporation

IIRC, they closed up manufacturing, (bought a beautiful DoAll saw from the auction), talked to the owner during pickup......they relocated to a smaller building to focus on service!

Heath Industrial | Mfg Division Only Of: Gaertner Scientific Corporation lotes

Kevin

If anyone here is interested in owning a Gaertner toolmakers microscope I have one in very nice condition that I would consider parting with.
spaeth

Kevin,

Thanks for the information about Gaertner. That must have been a heck of an auction given how long they have been around, especially if they did not clean house too often.

Bob

Thanks for the excellent postings folks! I ended up with a Gaertner TMM last week that is in fantastic condition. I’m missing the light sources but it has a fiber optic ring lite I can sort out with a used light source I have coming. Any details on the bottom (backlight) assembly would be useful. So far a flashlight with a bit of paper as a diffuser is working. It looks as if a large bayonet type holder went in there. I’d like to replicate something like that so any details would be appreciated. Photos on request of the new tool! I’m impressed with its utility.

Thanks for this thread and the link to the old book with information on this toolmaker's microscope. I picked one up recently at an auction and it came with a Nixie tube DRO. I was searching around but didn't see any pictures of a Gaertner DRO like this. Anyone here seen or used one like this before?

The machine feels like it's in nice condition, kept indoors and all surfaces move easily.

IMG_5974.jpegIMG_5973.jpegIMG_5975.jpeg

I picked up a notebook full of Gaertner brochures a few years back. The price list in the back is dated 1983. The toolmaker's microscope with the Nixie tube displays has a separate catalog supplement (Bulletin AL, the PDF file is attached). The brochure lists features, but not how to use them. The dual axis display was $3000-4000, on top of the $11,700 for the microscope.

I have not seen the extension tube with the 100X marking before. Your system may be easier to use with that extension tube removed (lower overall magnification).

Tom

Note: Some Nixie displays are driven by high voltages. Be very cautious if servicing the electronics. Treat it like a cathode ray television set.

Attachments

• Gaertner Toolmakers microscope encoders.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I picked up a notebook full of Gaertner brochures a few years back. The price list in the back is dated 1983. The toolmaker's microscope with the Nixie tube displays has a separate catalog supplement (Bulletin AL, the PDF file is attached). The brochure lists features, but not how to use them. The dual axis display was $3000-4000, on top of the $11,700 for the microscope.

I have not seen the extension tube with the 100X marking before. Your system may be easier to use with that extension tube removed (lower overall magnification).

Tom

Note: Some Nixie displays are driven by high voltages. Be very cautious if servicing the electronics. Treat it like a cathode ray television set.
Thanks for sharing that! Have you posted the other documents you got online anywhere?

I’ll try taking the 100x tube off when I clean it, thanks for the tip.

Tom

Thanks for sharing that! Have you posted the other documents you got online anywhere?

I’ll try taking the 100x tube off when I clean it, thanks for the tip.
I would like to see the brochures as well.........

Kevin

I scanned the eight page Toolmaker's Microscope sales brochure. The brochure is dated 8/78, although I doubt the contents had changed for the last 30 years. This document is probably as close to an owner's manual as we will get.

I also scanned a four page sales brochure for the M2002 Toolmaker's Microscope with the Nixie tube digital readouts. This is in addition to the document scan I posted earlier in the thread.

The notebook contains quite a bit of information on instruments that wouldn't be useful to machinists. There is information on measuring microscopes that aren't seen often on the used market. I will scan those when I get a chance.

Tom

Attachments

• 300 DPI Toolmakers Scans.pdf
    5 MB · Views: 11
  • 300 DPI Toolmakers Digital Accessories.pdf
    427.5 KB · Views: 5

Back