What's new
What's new

Retired. What to charge for programming from home?

gcodeguy

Hot Rolled
Recently retired. Will continue to program for the company from home. When I was off for 7 months for a couple brain operations, I kept track of my time and was paid at my regular salary rate. Not very profitable as there wasn't a steady need for new programs. Currently keeping my health insurance up with them until I can figure out what to do now for it (besides Medicaid/Medicare). Basically with the hours I got paid while off on disability, I would now be programming for free. Maybe even paying them until I can stop paying health insurance through work.

Now that I'm retired (and living about a thousand miles away) I wonder if there isn't a different way to charge the company. I don't want to be paid a set amount for each job as this company is like any other...some jobs are quick and easy while others take more thought and a lot longer to program.

Lathe programming only. Done on MasterCam, but I modify the programs after posting. Some a lot. This is because I make my life, and the operator's life, much easier by using a lot of variables.

Plus I won't just be programming. I will be doing what trouble shooting I can from videos or pictures sent to me.

Thanks in advance.

I like that idea although 1) Doubt a lathe only programmer can charge that much, and 2) You don't know how cheap the company is that I work for.

They make promises (about raises and reviews), but never keep them.

I don't want to be paid a set amount for each job as this company is like any other...some jobs are quick and easy while others take more thought and a lot longer to program.

To prevent misunderstandings about the costs for programming, I would quote each part/job as a fixed price. That way the customer knows exactly what the costs will be up front...no surprises. Yes, you have to estimate your time required to complete the job, but with experience that shouldn't be too difficult.

Per hour rate, for lathe programming? Anywhere from $40 per hour to $100 maybe, I would think. Four-and-five axis programming would sell for more, of course.

ToolCat

To prevent misunderstandings about the costs for programming, I would quote each part/job as a fixed price. That way the customer knows exactly what the costs will be up front...no surprises. Yes, you have to estimate your time required to complete the job, but with experience that shouldn't be too difficult.
I agree. And if something comes up where you legitimately spend much more time on a project, maybe due to unforeseen difficulties, then you get to have a conversation.

Some of the lathes I program for are a Doosan TT1800SY and 2 Nakamura-Tome WT-300s. They are considered 8-axis lathes as everything gets counted as an axis. There are 3 other Doosans with single turret/twin spindles. Naturally Y-axis and C-axis work on both spindles.

Had to learn thread milling side ports about 3 years ago. Just turned 75 two days ago. Always something to learn no matter how long you've been programming.

EDIT: I appreciate the input. It gives me some ammo when I talk with the plant manager this coming week.

……..You don't know how cheap the company is that I work for.

I’m left wondering why you’re interested in continuing to work for them.

Unless they keep you on as a W2 employee, you will be responsible for SE taxes. That alone forces a significantly higher rate. Your software or theirs? If yours then what’s the maintenance? Add that to your rate. If theirs, you can’t ethically program for anyone else. Lots to figure out.

When I went freelance before I retired I started by charging by the hour. Then I went to charging by the job, and found it took a great burden off my shoulders because I wasn't having to watch the clock all the time. I allowed a certain amount for contingencies and if the job took longer I swallowed the extra cost. If it came in shorter, I pocketed the extra money. I made it very clear what was included in my quotes, so it was easy to charge for extra work.

George

I like that idea although 1) Doubt a lathe only programmer can charge that much, and 2) You don't know how cheap the company is that I work for.

Your current employer ? or the ones you freelance for ?
Very different prices.

Just be careful not to price your services to the point the company finds it cheaper to hire a competent in house programmer/machinist.

Their software. Same employer I worked almost 38 years for. Gave a two week notice about 18-20 years ago, but the 'old man' made me feel so bad that I stayed. Would have been programming 2 new lathes and learning vertical mills.

Was promised I could learn vertical mills where I was working. Never happened. Would have been a bit hard anyway as I was responible for programming 22 lathes. Plus we were always short-handed so I did quite a few set-ups. Also set-up and ran off small reworks or small orders.

Actually got screwed as they took me off salary and paid me hourly. I did not ask to go to hourly, but that is how the other job would have been paying me. (And I was told at the other place that I could work as many hours as I wanted.) Then when 2008 hit, I took a 25% cut in pay while salaried kept their pay and went from 47.5 hours a week to a 40 hour week. A huge hourly increase for them while the rest of us got the shaft.

If the relationship is as toxic as you say, you need to separate your medical insurance situation from this employer ASAP.

Become a wholly independent contractor, and charge them so much it makes the pain and suffering on your end worth it. $150/hr or more. They might only stomach it for a few months, but at least you will get paid. But if it's as bad as you say, it might take years to replace you. This might be your opportunity to finally extract some cash from them.

Hi glad your doing well after all your health issues! Well after 32.5 years I retired on Jan 1/23 or forced to because of health issues. I will say no love lost their! I know in the USA your healthcare is one hell of a lot different than Canada you need some kind of coverage and I don't know the first thing about that in the USA. I would say its time to cut ties with them and if you want to keep programming find other places to hire you by the hour or job. Good luck with what every you decide!!

$100 to $150 an hour.
1) Doubt a lathe only programmer can charge that much,

Some of the lathes I program for are a Doosan TT1800SY and 2 Nakamura-Tome WT-300s. They are considered 8-axis lathes as everything gets counted as an axis. There are 3 other Doosans with single turret/twin spindles. Naturally Y-axis and C-axis work on both spindles.

Those aren't standard two axis lathes, if you can program multi-axis lathes, then charge for it. If your current employer is too cheap and won't pay for it, find someone who will. It's not like there is a glut of machinist who can do that kind of programming.

Their software. Same employer I worked almost 38 years for. Gave a two week notice about 18-20 years ago, but the 'old man' made me feel so bad that I stayed. Would have been programming 2 new lathes and learning vertical mills.

Was promised I could learn vertical mills where I was working. Never happened. Would have been a bit hard anyway as I was responible for programming 22 lathes. Plus we were always short-handed so I did quite a few set-ups. Also set-up and ran off small reworks or small orders.

Actually got screwed as they took me off salary and paid me hourly. I did not ask to go to hourly, but that is how the other job would have been paying me. (And I was told at the other place that I could work as many hours as I wanted.) Then when 2008 hit, I took a 25% cut in pay while salaried kept their pay and went from 47.5 hours a week to a 40 hour week. A huge hourly increase for them while the rest of us got the shaft.
Why in the world would you want to have anything to doo with them ?

Recently retired. Will continue to program for the company from home. When I was off for 7 months for a couple brain operations, I kept track of my time and was paid at my regular salary rate. Not very profitable as there wasn't a steady need for new programs. Currently keeping my health insurance up with them until I can figure out what to do now for it (besides Medicaid/Medicare). Basically with the hours I got paid while off on disability, I would now be programming for free. Maybe even paying them until I can stop paying health insurance through work.

Now that I'm retired (and living about a thousand miles away) I wonder if there isn't a different way to charge the company. I don't want to be paid a set amount for each job as this company is like any other...some jobs are quick and easy while others take more thought and a lot longer to program.

Lathe programming only. Done on MasterCam, but I modify the programs after posting. Some a lot. This is because I make my life, and the operator's life, much easier by using a lot of variables.

Plus I won't just be programming. I will be doing what trouble shooting I can from videos or pictures sent to me.

Thanks in advance.
I charge $90/hr, two hour minimum.

After reading these responses I must ask, how is the employer justified in paying those types of wages when they could just hire a guy for half that? $100 plus bucks and hour? come on, I bet the shop rate is not even that much for allot of shops, and what happens when there is a mistake or crash? How is that handled besides being a huge pissing match?

After reading these responses I must ask, how is the employer justified in paying those types of wages when they could just hire a guy for half that? $100 plus bucks and hour? come on, I bet the shop rate is not even that much for allot of shops, and what happens when there is a mistake or crash? How is that handled besides being a huge pissing match? I'm really considering this when I retire from 5 axis mold work, but no way in hell will I ask more than I make now.

After reading these responses I must ask, how is the employer justified in paying those types of wages when they could just hire a guy for half that? $100 plus bucks and hour? come on, I bet the shop rate is not even that much for allot of shops, and what happens when there is a mistake or crash? How is that handled besides being a huge pissing match?
Because you pay someone $150/hour only when you need them instead of $30/hour + benefits 40some hours a week, 52 weeks a year.

Back