What's new
What's new

Retiring Successfully

I took a different route. I built my own houses when I wanted a new one, and did away with payments when I was 31. Then when I was 55 I bought some commercial land and built a mini storage. Something I could easily run and not government regulated like residential rentals. So I have a 7700 square foot shop on 15 acres and a house. Couple machines, couple car lifts, welding equipment and more. They send the money and I rarely here from anyone.

Yep,its the Soylent Brown the poor folks gotta eat.

I prefer the brown (chocolate). I also like the vanilla, and can tolerate the strawberry.

Between drinking lots of Soylent, cutting sugar (probably the biggest contributor), and playing Beat Saber in VR almost every day, I've lost 8 pounds since Christmas.

Dad retired from his shop and did okay I guess.
Me.. I will retire when they pry my B-port out of my cold dead hands.

I am in the same boat, took a bad hit during the recession of 2008. I am ok with it, I don't hunt, fish or golf. There isn't any longevity on the male side of the family tree, oldest blood relative male made it to 72.

I know a lot of people that didn't expect to live a long life who have long surpassed their own expectations. I guess expect the worst, but don't plan to just wait to die if you do happen to live a long life.

A close friend is in his 80's running his shop with no plans to stop. There is no exit plan at all. Just go until he can't go anymore. I love the guy, but I couldn't operate that way. I'd have to have a plan and wind it down at some point.

A friend said to me "Im worried about leaving millions to ingrates"......I thought about this .....most I ever got was $600 when my grandfather died....certainly not enough to set me up for life like a lot of young uns will get now that houses are worth millions.

Back