What's new
What's new

Retract Moves, What do they do?

AGMantz

Aluminum
Hey all,

So recently I made an error while doing a job, just some simple oval pockets that I was cutting to size. Came in this morning to a unhappy boss asking why there were little wire marks cutting into the part at the start and end of where I had my cutoff. After I did some digging through my program found out that I had changed the settings on my retract moves so that instead of retracting into the slug it retracted into the part. Stupid mistake, but an easy problem to fix for the future. It got me thinking though what even is the point of having retract? What does it do? Why does it always need to retract when I have my strategy on Rough, Cutoff, Skim or Rough, Skim, Cutoff? Is there a way I can change specifically where I want it to retract not just the typical preset options they have on ESPRIT? Just an extra thing to worry about that bit me in the ass this time around.

Regards,
-AGMantz

The approach and retract is where the machine applies and cancels the tool offset, respectively. It needs to be done on a move command.

I used to work with Esprit, but an older version, and you could set retract distances easily. I couldn't tell you how to do it on the newer versions.

I will generally always either simulate on the computer or make sure to take a close look at the graph on the machine, as that is indeed an area that could bite you in the ass if you're not careful.

The approach and retract is where the machine applies and cancels the tool offset, respectively. It needs to be done on a move command.

I used to work with Esprit, but an older version, and you could set retract distances easily. I couldn't tell you how to do it on the newer versions.

I will generally always either simulate on the computer or make sure to take a close look at the graph on the machine, as that is indeed an area that could bite you in the ass if you're not careful.

Yea, lesson learned from this one that is for sure. I know you said you used to work with ESPRIT so you may not know the answer to this but were you ever able to change specifically where it retracts to? Changing the distance is straight forward just a little box below your retract strategy that you can change numerically, but I want to be able to select exactly where I want it to retract. Normally(for me at least) my retract is always just a simple straight line left or right even if I change the strategy between partial and normal(Full retract excluded). If I could plot a point on ESPRIT and then have it use that point as the spot to retract to that'd be ideal.

Thanks,
-AGMantz

In the version of Esprit I used, no you could only set the distance. It would always go perpendicular to the start of the tool path. Making sure your retract distance is correct is just one of those things you get the hang of checking all the time, at least in my experience.

In your project manager window click on the feature you want to change. This will show its properties in your property window. In sub element click on lead out point and an arrow will open. Click on the the arrow then click where to retract to on your esp file.

pic.jpg

In your project manager window click on the feature you want to change. This will show its properties in your property window. In sub element click on lead out point and an arrow will open. Click on the the arrow then click where to retract to on your esp file.

View attachment 347880

That is exactly what I was looking for! Another one of those damn hidden digitized arrows. I swear I find a new one of those every week.

Thanks as always for helping clear another one of my questions.

Regards,
-AGMantz

Back