What's new
What's new

Reverse nc editor/converter

Dalego

Plastic
Out of curiosity, is there a method to convert a program to be read by another machine using different code with the same functionality? I have an old FADAL with 200+ programs that I want to convert to run on my new HASS. The G-CODE differs from machine to machine. I am looking for a way to convert the old FADAL files to the HAAS thus saving massive program time. I have tried a few options that we thought of but the HAAS does not like the code. I also do not want to rewrite line after line and possibly miss an option. I use SOLIDWORKS CAM 2021 and so far have rewritten 60 programs. I will probably post this in the CNC threads as well searching for a new method to this madness.

Out of curiosity, is there a method to convert a program to be read by another machine using different code with the same functionality? I have an old FADAL with 200+ programs that I want to convert to run on my new HASS. The G-CODE differs from machine to machine. I am looking for a way to convert the old FADAL files to the HAAS thus saving massive program time. I have tried a few options that we thought of but the HAAS does not like the code. I also do not want to rewrite line after line and possibly miss an option. I use SOLIDWORKS CAM 2021 and so far have rewritten 60 programs. I will probably post this in the CNC threads as well searching for a new method to this madness.

It's been a long time since I ran a Fadal, but if I recall correctly there wasn't too much of a difference with the code, go through a Fadal program next to a HAAS program and decipher the code differences and most NC editors will have a find and replace all option.

For instance, some Fadal's can use E1 for G54, find and replace all

If you have SolidWorksCAM you have the Cimco/CAMWorks editor that has the option to find and replace all.

Untitled.jpg

It's been a long time since I ran a Fadal, but if I recall correctly there wasn't too much of a difference with the code, go through a Fadal program next to a HAAS program and decipher the code differences and most NC editors will have a find and replace all option.

For instance, some Fadal's can use E1 for G54, find and replace all

If you have SolidWorksCAM you have the Cimco/CAMWorks editor that has the option to find and replace all.

View attachment 342775

I have gone through some NC conversion before and this is one of the quick ways to go about it.

With a CAM system that is set up to post for both machines you can also do a quick comparison of posting a series of programs for each machine and then using something like Beyond Compare to view what differences exist.

I have done a more complex process to reverse NC code back to APT and then post process that APT. It is something that can make sense if the program formats are very dissimilar or there is a lot of specific information that needs to be translated. (Ex. Remapping tool numbers, reworking cycles, etc).

One thing to keep in mind with converting NC programs is there is limited ability to find improvements. Items like speeds and feeds are going to be a 1:1 translation. If you want to change something about one path in a program you are going to have to copy/paste the rest of the program around a newly posted operation from your CAM.

What I have been tasked to do is to copy and edit the FADAL programs to translate to code for the HAAS. To me it feels like I am just handwriting the code and not using the software we just invested in as well as the time to learn the software plus some paid for training. What irritates me now is that if I make the conversion work I will have to go back later and improve the program. We are also planning to upgrade our controller so there may be another round of reworking the programs. I am not really a fan of doing the same task multiple times but if my paycheck clears I will do as I am asked. I also am not in agreeance with treating a VMC that is twice the size and offers more capabilities to be "dumb-down". Just me venting now I suppose.

Thanks for the information guys.

What I have been tasked to do is to copy and edit the FADAL programs to translate to code for the HAAS. To me it feels like I am just handwriting the code and not using the software we just invested in as well as the time to learn the software plus some paid for training. What irritates me now is that if I make the conversion work I will have to go back later and improve the program. We are also planning to upgrade our controller so there may be another round of reworking the programs. I am not really a fan of doing the same task multiple times but if my paycheck clears I will do as I am asked. I also am not in agreeance with treating a VMC that is twice the size and offers more capabilities to be "dumb-down". Just me venting now I suppose.

Honestly, I would probably just reprogram the parts in the software you have now, if gives you more control when repeat parts come back. It is a pain, but depending on the part you could be spending more time on each NC file trying to convert it correctly and make program adjustments.

Depending on the parts, if you can utilize and configure CAMWorks TechDB to work for you, you can reprogram the parts pretty quick.

Yup. If you convert the existing program, it will simply be the same program on the new machine, with no improvements. You will also have no CAM master, so if there's a revision, or if you want to make a process improvement, you'll have to do it by hand in the code.

The better path is to look at what the programs are doing and reprogram them from scratch in the CAM software. You may take the same approaches, different approaches, or a mix of the two.

A number of years ago I was in a similar boat; I had to reprogram old hand-written code for a large number of parts. I scrapped all the original code and started fresh, and cut cycle times dramatically from the originals. In some cases my program got the job done in 25% of the time, on the same machine.

I do not think it does. I have compared to CIMCO but I feel I convinced them that letting me do this in the CAM software is a better faster option.

Back