What's new
What's new

Review of Anderson Drop Deck trailers ?

What about a small deck level ramp at your home instead of a ground loading trailer? My building had a steel ramp from a door that was about a foot higher than the floor to load stuff onto low trailers? It was about 15 feet long and an electric pallet jack could easily navigate it with a load. You could even do a dock leveler type of ramp that was flat and raise/lower to the desired height with airbags or hydraulic jack.

There are several guys on the garage journal with scissor lifts set in the ground in their garages, with a platform you could do the same thing for probably half the cost of a trailer or less?

Steve

What about a small deck level ramp at your home instead of a ground loading trailer? My building had a steel ramp from a door that was about a foot higher than the floor to load stuff onto low trailers? It was about 15 feet long and an electric pallet jack could easily navigate it with a load. You could even do a dock leveler type of ramp that was flat and raise/lower to the desired height with airbags or hydraulic jack.

There are several guys on the garage journal with scissor lifts set in the ground in their garages, with a platform you could do the same thing for probably half the cost of a trailer or less?
Due to my obsession with boats, I live in a house in a marina (literally...boats floating just a few yards from back door).... I may have to sneak machines in the garage under cover of darkness as it is...to do what you propose would totally freak out the neighbors !

As of today I'm leaning more toward a NoRamp U-14 trailer. One big advantage it would have over an Anderson Drop Deck type is enough width and length (barely) to haul cars. Which wouldn't be it's main purpose but might sometimes help with my other obsession (vehicles)

Due to my obsession with boats, I live in a house in a marina (literally...boats floating just a few yards from back door).... I may have to sneak machines in the garage under cover of darkness as it is...to do what you propose would totally freak out the neighbors !

As of today I'm leaning more toward a NoRamp U-14 trailer. One big advantage it would have over an Anderson Drop Deck type is enough width and length (barely) to haul cars. Which wouldn't be it's main purpose but might sometimes help with my other obsession (vehicles)

I understand the drill,
That U-14 looks like a much better option, a bit short for a car. The larger U19 is only 400 pound heavier, it IS quite a bit longer. If you even think you may want to haul cars consider the larger one.

Steve

I understand the drill,
That U-14 looks like a much better option, a bit short for a car. The larger U19 is only 400 pound heavier, it IS quite a bit longer. If you even think you may want to haul cars consider the larger one.
U19 would probably have slightly less load angle as well.... but... tight on back up space at the house. Also tend to deal with smaller cars... Porsche Cayman should fit on the U14 ok.

I have explored these trailers at length and have gone the no ramp route. This is primarily based on the idea that the no ramp is more universally capable with ragard to the size and anchor points. The other main factor was the axles. I have spoken with a great number of people running these and for some reason almost everyone that owns one has admitted to frequent bearing and tire issues. Of the brands, JLG seems to have the best reputation amongst those who own this type of trailer. ( is the slope too much on the no ramp? The u19 is ~3° load angle FWIW)

Used to rent similar from Sunbelt Rentals, but apparently some goofball had a serious accident with one and now they will only rent them to use in transporting their equipment.

This may get me some ridiculing, but any thought to renting a piece of equipment (cheapest one in the size range) and then get the trailer to 'transport' it to your house along with the equipment you are wanting to take home? It does increase the cost of the rental....but how often will you be needing the trailer? For a home shop that is space limited, I can't imagine you are using it multiple times a month, every month. One of those drop deck trailers was about $150 out the door the last time I used one and a forklift was a few hundred more. Let's say the cost is $500 per use now, it would take 20 uses to break even on buying a trailer (not including the maintenance).

On choosing a trailer, I can't help you. Sorry. I have only used the Sunbelt Rentals and had great success with them.

I just looked on the Sunbelt Rentals website and put in my area code to see if I could rent the drop deck trailer -- it's gone!! It might just be company wide and not franchise specific.

I did rent one from home Depot once, same policy, but it was Saturday evening before close and they said if I returned it Sunday they'd rent it without the scissor lift because it was so unlikely that it would rent the combo on Sunday here anyway.

My dad's work has the Anderson one, the 10k model either 6x10 or 12ft, I want one but would want a bigger one. Or one of the enclosed models. maybe one day...
Anyhow theirs gets used a lot, hauling scissor lifts, safes, forklifts and other misc equipment. I'm fortunate that we've been able to use it hauling some of my equipment. My Cincinnati No4 Vertical was every bit that trailer wanted LOL but it worked like a champ!I didn't look at the alternatives linked here but will go back and check them out. The Anderson's is a bit on the narrow side but I guarantee this- every dang time we have rolled up somewhere with that thing and set it on the ground, jaws drop haha. That plus a pallet jack or two can accomplish things you'd screw around for hours trying to accomplish without it.
The only thing I'd advise is to get their upgraded (thicker) floor and see what sort of tie down options they offer. The one I've used has reinforced slots in the floor for a chain to grab but aside from that the sides and front are smooth tube with nothing to hook to, so you have to loop around it.

Back