What's new
What's new

Revolved surface around an oval? Solidworks.

Edster

Diamond
Is there a way to make a revolved surface around an oval? Sorta like a dome shape. I can make one around a circle but havent had any luck with ovals. I'm using solidworks 2016.

Edster,

Can you clarify? Are we talking an oval - essentially a slot (like a race track) or an ellipse? If the former, are you looking to end up with a shape/solid that looks like half a Tylenol capsule? Just trying to understand what you are looking for prior to giving a (potentially) usless response :).

Fred

Sorry I didn't describe what I was trying to do that good. Here's a pic.

Yes it's an ellipse not an oval.

Attachments

• Ellipse.JPG
    Ellipse.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 602
Doesn't reply directly to your question, but was intrigued by it....

Created a hemisphere about the origin and then non-uniformly scaled it in X,Y and Z.

Fred

Ellipse_dome.jpg

I meant on the video you shared. When you used the rollback bar, your different colored sketches did not have endpoints and I wondered if that was because you used the “creating new sketches from selections” tool.

I meant on the video you shared. When you used the rollback bar, your different colored sketches did not have endpoints and I wondered if that was because you used the “creating new sketches from selections” tool.

Nothing fancy, all I did was deselect the check boxes, as seen in the pic I showed you. The check boxes are modal, either you'll see the points or not for every sketch.

I had built it and it was just easier to show in the video rolling back in time to show the sketches I made.

Back