What's new
What's new

RFQ for stainless washers

narwhal

Plastic
[EDIT: Well that completely failed]

Assuming that worked, the specs are in the picture.

You know what they say about assumptions...

Trying to keep the details offsite because the last thing I want to do is make the life of one of my Chinese knockoffs a little easier if they stumble across this post in the future.

Last edited:
Your client does not have permission to get URL /BFoDp-2aMzzmxBBcRdyOIoRxZE6WVD8A3hHf10cwWTEohqrPRMRN1cb8cuqEyX7YsJiU0gGpzjAjK-gjRKSCm-cLG0s2dWxnQqzN5UmBtIsRo9RYwuSej0hv_fEUwVm9vw=w1280 from this server. (Client IP address: 68.205.126.227)

Washers are pretty simple, just write a text description, material, thickness, ID, OD.

CarlBoyd

I make stainless collars all day long. I probably have a machine that is pretty damn close to set up already for this.

I can go to 1.5" Dia.... Depending on qty, size, etc. I cannot see your link. just post the dimensions here. PM me if interested.

uc

Keeping this in an image link because one thing the Chinese knockoffs of the niche product that uses these washers haven't figured out is QC, and there's a limit to how much I want to leave on the Internet permanently.

Washers are pretty simple, just write a text description, material, thickness, ID, OD.

CarlBoyd

Reply right before this one has the specs. If they really are pretty simple to make, please put an extra zero on those quantities to start and I'll meet you personally at your loading dock with an attache case of small, unmarked bills.

I didn't? 100% meatbag here, no 'bot activity and I don't recall PMing you. Did you mean to respond to the conveyor guy post?

Are these thicknesses not normal to sheet stock?

Wouldn't someone with a turret punch or laser stomp these out and not have to worry about the cut-off tool wondering in stainless?

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I didn't? 100% meatbag here, no 'bot activity and I don't recall PMing you. Did you mean to respond to the conveyor guy post?

You most certainly did PM me:

"Sending this in a PM because I have enough trouble snatching telephoto lens cameras from the Chinese 'trade delegate' with the balls to set up a tripod inside my own freaking trade show booth...

Maybe you shouldn't be driving anymore eh ?

Last edited:
Weird, but thanks for the heads up! Looks like I somehow sent that to the wrong person. You weren't even in this thread before this morning. :skep: No idea how I pulled that off, but sorry about that. Also means the person I meant to send that to is still waiting for an answer. That's what I get for trying to send out RFQs after midnight.

Would you mind deleting the dimensions in your last comment? The entire reason I've been trying to keep numbers in PM or off-site images is because of the regular industrial espionage from China, and how recognizable some of those numbers are to anyone in the same industry niche.

Don't sweat it. Doug's got a hair-trigger that makes nitroglycerin go "Chill, dude!"...

Weird, but thanks for the heads up! Looks like I somehow sent that to the wrong person. You weren't even in this thread before this morning. :skep: No idea how I pulled that off, but sorry about that. Also means the person I meant to send that to is still waiting for an answer. That's what I get for trying to send out RFQs after midnight.

You were saying Milland ????

Who ever quotes this be sitting down when you hear what stainless is up to. I got quoted close to $6 a pound for US sourced 304 just shy of 1000 pounds of all the same size rounds.

DANG!

I pd a bit over $4 for 303 a month ago!

I was expecting that we'd found the top by now.
I guess not!

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

DANG!

I pd a bit over $4 for 303 a month ago!

I was expecting that we'd found the top by now.
I guess not!

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Chinese was like $4.55, but I would not take that stuff for free. Looks like gasoline and heating oil have peaked for now, but not aluminum and stainless.

Who ever quotes this be sitting down when you hear what stainless is up to. I got quoted close to $6 a pound for US sourced 304 just shy of 1000 pounds of all the same size rounds.

I just got word back that 1.00" and .875" 303 is out of stock till the end of May. I havent looked elsewhere yet because they will tell me the same thing. I am going to a trade show tomorrow and will ask around, but in the last 6 months if someone doesnt have it then they all dont have it.

I get the same "out of stock until..." response. When I shop it around they all say its coming though on x/x/xx date and they are all within a few days of each other.

I just got 1.00" copper today (7 bars, drop shipped ) no idea what it cost. Looking forward to turning in the scrap.

I just got word back that 1.00" and .875" 303 is out of stock till the end of May. I havent looked elsewhere yet because they will tell me the same thing. I am going to a trade show tomorrow and will ask around, but in the last 6 months if someone doesnt have it then they all dont have it.

I get the same "out of stock until..." response. When I shop it around they all say its coming though on x/x/xx date and they are all within a few days of each other.

I just got 1.00" copper today (7 bars, drop shipped ) no idea what it cost. Looking forward to turning in the scrap.

So you are saying I should have jumped up and down with glee that for close to $6 a pound at least they had it?
Copper scrap here is damn near $4 a pound for corroded water pipe. I would think clean dry swarf would get more than that.

So you are saying I should have jumped up and down with glee that for close to $6 a pound at least they had it?
Copper scrap here is damn near $4 a pound for corroded water pipe. I would think clean dry swarf would get more than that.

Just found the 1.00" 303 for just over a grand for 5 bars. Thats all they had in anything close to that size/ Ouch.

I'm trying to keep as much of my production orders to quantities that can be fulfilled with orders like '1 ton of 7 GA sheet, 2 tons of 11 GA sheet, and 1 ton of 3/8" plate' because of how ridiculous the retail market is becoming. Wholesale rates for sheet seem to be around $2.04 to $2.20 for China, and about $2.50-$3 for US. Of course, nobody wants to tell the retail market what the prices are for the mills and yards.

Just found the 1.00" 303 for just over a grand for 5 bars. Thats all they had in anything close to that size/ Ouch.

Your supplier must like you a lot more than CITIZEN F16's, because that's not terrible for anything domestic-made on the retail market right now.

Not that good prices exist just about anywhere...

Are these thicknesses not normal to sheet stock?

No, standard stainless sheet stock is either going to be .1054" or .1200", and that's not accounting for the sheet crown (it's thicker in the middle than the edges) plus permitted tolerances from nominal thickness.

Some mills will be damn near spot-on for nominal every single time, others will generally be +/- about 50% of the tolerance with the occasional outlier, and some cheapskate mills always wind up riding the edge of the lower bound of the tolerance.

These particular parts are a PITA to make from sheet without having enough force to stamp from a thicker gauge and cold-work the metal down to spec.

I'm almost certain the Chinese knockoffs are doing exactly what you said, and that's why I can get 50-100% better performance out of a machine that looks identical to a casual inspection.

Back