What's new
What's new

Rigging large engine lathes.......????

Frank, I personally would not hesitate to unload those lathes myself, but I have moved several machines similar so I have a plan of attack. I think you could get the job done, but at what point is it counterproductive? Safest way, hire the rigger, pay attention, get over your fear by seeing it done. Most of the time with the right equipment its more just being careful about pick points. Your 12k forklift counts as the right equipment, but the weather adds a glitch that may be your main obstacle. one word to the wise: kitty litter. Spread it out on the ice where you need to drive, works wonders for forklift traction, loose small gravel works too put on top of the ice. If you have straps you can loop around the bed sections and lift from the top it should swing easy, but many a lathe has been picked under the bed with proper blocking to protect the leadscrews and drive rods. just position for a level lift and don't have it any higher off the ground than required to clear. Get it low as soon as you are clear of the truck, and drive easy. Your call, let us know how it works out.

I had a buddy who was an experienced journeyman Ironworker help me with rigging and moving a vertical mill and two lathes in the 6,000 pound range. He was a huge help.

Rick
How far was that move and how long did it take? Thanks for the photos and link. That price seems to good to be true. I missed out on a small Pacemaker lathe a few weeks ago mainly because of the rigging price. I think it ended up at the scrap yard. I got 5 bids from $4000 to $2000 from riggers. That was to move ~ #7000 lathe less than 20 miles. All of the riggers were close to both ends of the trip. The lathe would have been loaded by the seller for $10 and rolled in to the shop on my end. So the riggers were really just being used as a trucking company with either a drop deck / tilt trailer or a rollback truck. To me the price seemed crazy for a few hours work. I guess the riggers know they have you once you call. I couldn't find a trailer to rent to do it myself. The lathe looked like it would have been fairly easy to move as the headstock end was almost square ~5' wide by 5' high. I was going to use either skates or pallet jacks to roll it. Have any of you used special made wheels to bolt on the machine to roll it?

Good thread
Andy

Mud
Thanks for the info about PA tow trucks. That's good to know now I just have to find one local with a big flat steel deck and able to move machines.

Andy

Check with your local towing companies. I am having a Lucas HBM moved about 100 miles. It weighs around 25000#. They quoted me $600. We are using a Landall trailer, but them small lathes you can get away with a good rollback.

Good luck
Josh

Bill (thermite)

I have moved my old round dial 10ee 5 or 6 times by myself. It might be one of the heaviest 10" lathes out there but it sure is easy to move. With the MG and big DC motor in the base and the wide ass it was easy to move. All I used was a pair of rol-a-lifts and a drop deck trailer.

Andy

Well one regional, wrecker organization near me is the good and most experience equipment moving service i have found. I have used him three periods, and he is more than affordable with his cost and does outstanding perform. Secure and very affordable.

Back