What's new
What's new

Risk of pinching slitting saw on 4th axis?

Azoth

Aluminum
I've got this part that gets split in two.
The part is fastened with 4 screws to a fixture and also has two locating pins so it shouldn't be able to move much, but the hss splitting saw doesn't cut itself any clearance so it wouldn't take much movement to cause a problem.

My predecessor said the part could sag and pinch the saw so he altered the program to stop 1/2" short and finish the cut with a band saw then dress it up with a grinder. I don't know if that actually happened on him or if he was just overly cautious.

Considering using some allthread and nuts to apply slight pressure to the ID, but that also could increase the risk if it hinges since the pressure isn't in line with the cut?

Would you think the part might move on you?

3" thick 16"OD 10" ID

Last edited:
I doubt it would be an issue. We use a plug type fixture to locate our parts and they are held in place with nothing more than a bolt and a strap across each half.

The locating pin was actually below the cut so it wouldn't help anyways. And I skipped the allthread thing.

It wasn't an issue. 1 bolt on each side of the cut was plenty. The old guy just created more work for himself.

Back