What's new
What's new

Rivett in OR CL

I have seen this guy trying to sell machines over the years. His prices are always through the roof, just trying to catch the interest of someone who has a lot more cash than brains.

Definitely the same lathe from the auction. Has the same long-travel taper attachment and collet closer. More pictures here: Interesting Long-Travel Rivett Taper Attachment

Apparently the person paid $8k for it. If they actually bring in $15k for the lathe and all its parts/accessories, I guess it was a good investment, depending on how they value their time and rigging cost. But also I don't understand people who buy machine tools at a premium this high to "flip" them. This seems like a ton of work to make a few thousand dollars, while also driving up prices for everyone else. Plus they're certainly going to sit on it for a long time at this price. If that steady were priced better I would buy it, though being for a 1020S the center height probably isn't quite right for my 1030F.

I don’t think the accessories are from the same person. The EBay add has been up longer than the Rivett has been in CL. Also, there are photos of the steady included in the auction and that one is highly unlikely to be a Rivett steady. Another tidbit is that the steady is included with the sale of the lathe.

With the 8k sale price and then buyers premium, sales tax, etc, it was likely 10k all said and done. That is not including any rigging costs.

I’m strongly considering having a casting made for the F size Rivetts (with ability to modify to S size). Sneebot did something similar for the 10EE oversize rest. Is there any demand for this kind of thing amongst the community?

Well nice that they aren't splitting the tooling up at that price. Not that it's very important but the $8k sale price includes buyer's premium (auction closed at $7300 before premium).

I would absolutely go in on that casting. I have a design to modify sneebot's casting to fit my rivett but it's far more work than using a proper casting since the Rivett's ways are much wider than a 10ee. Medsar if it would be helpful I have solidworks and can do the CAD for the casting design. I already have my 1030F's ways modelled in CAD along with spindle centerline.

If you wanted to do a followrest casting too, I have an original followrest that I can loan for reverse engineering if helpful.

Well nice that they aren't splitting the tooling up at that price. Not that it's very important but the $8k sale price includes buyer's premium (auction closed at $7300 before premium).

I would absolutely go in on that casting. I have a design to modify sneebot's casting to fit my rivett but it's far more work than using a proper casting since the Rivett's ways are much wider than a 10ee. Medsar if it would be helpful I have solidworks and can do the CAD for the casting design. I already have my 1030F's ways modelled in CAD along with spindle centerline.

If you wanted to do a followrest casting too, I have an original followrest that I can loan for reverse engineering if helpful.

On snap. You’re right. Sorry for the confusion about the price and my crappy calculations.

The designs would be a great start. I’ll get in contact with a guy I met a while back who does pattern making as a business.

Shop up the road had one of these. Not as pretty. One day it was gone. I asked about it. "oh we didnt use much and the drive belt broke so we dropped in the scrap hopper"...........................

I'd be interested in a 1020S steady and follow rest casting.

I don't frequent PM too often, but just wanted to mention that I spoke with Keith Rucker just after he got his 1020S and he mentioned interest in casting steady and follow rests. He has cast stuff quite a bit working with Clark Easterling at Windy Hill Foundry. Since there are differences between the S and F series, it might make sense to keep in touch with Keith to make sure that both are produced.

I don't have a very big interest in a follow rest, as there are better designs to build one from, such as the late Harry Bloom. I do have a steady rest which is probably more useful than a follow rest for me. I could be interested in a 6" steady, I have a 3".

Keith also has the metric gears as I recall. That I would be interested in.

Cheers,
Alan

Back