What's new
What's new

Rockwell Mfg Co. 14" drill press

William E. Matz

Plastic
Come across a 14" Rockwell / Delta (Rockwell Manufacturing Co. - Power Tool Division - Pittsburgh 8, Pennsylvania - US of A) Serial 124-5081. What I can gather is this machine was manufactured in 1959, but I am not certain. The head casting is very similar to a DP-225, how ever it is not, no numbers are apparent in the casting from what can be seen without disassembly. The column bracket is clearly marked DP-502, and it is attached to a 10.5" x 10". It has a Rockwell .5 HP dual voltage 1725 rpm motor which drives the quill through a 4 step pulley. Anyone familiar with this machine, where head casting numbers would be located along with machine literature would be appreciated.

Thank You

William E. Matz

Plastic
I can't help with the casting numbers but there is literature on several drill press models here
Use the filter on the page for drill presses I can't get that to post directly here.
Jim
Thanks Jim,
I had been looking this morning at this site and found several good resources. However none match exactly what I have. I also found serial number information that indicated that this tool was produced in 1959, however there they a said to be Bellenfountaine (Ohio) years of which this machine is said to be made in Pittsburgh.

L Vanice

Diamond
Thanks Jim,
I had been looking this morning at this site and found several good resources. However none match exactly what I have. I also found serial number information that indicated that this tool was produced in 1959, however there they a said to be Bellenfountaine (Ohio) years of which this machine is said to be made in Pittsburgh.
The drill press design was originally from Walker-Turner and the Rockwell Bellefountain, OH plant that made the old W-T products was started in 1957.

The company was called Rockwell Standard from 1958 to 1967 and was based in Pittsburg, PA. It was a huge company and had many plants making various products.

Larry

William E. Matz

Plastic
Larry, based on these findings then the machine was produced in Bellefountain in 1959. The Pittsburgh designation on the serial card caused the origin suspicion. Literature is widely available from this period, Vintage Machinery has a huge selection, just not this one (that I have seen). Somewhere this machine has to have record including casting numbers which were prominently displayed on other parts. Mine is very similar to this picture, the difference being it does not have the oval hole for spindle access / tool changing or the "bolder than life DP-225".

The original serial card location can be seen here also explaining currently it's location on the other side of casting. This part can be seen by searching ebay "Delta Rockwell 14" Drill Press DP 225 Head Casting"dp225casting.jpg

Jim Christie

Titanium
You may have checked this also but Vintage Machinery has some Walker Turner drills listed to that have a Rockwell heading on the parts list.
I didn't check them all but still didn't find a match for yours .
Perhaps the name plates and literature don't always match up with the location it was made during a time when the companies were being merged together.
Jim