What's new
What's new

roll pattern dies

Your still engraving into steel, I'll need to get better at that, because a softer material won't push the pattern into the roll right. But because they are repeating your not spending a month on it because it just needs to cover the small roll. Then bump the small roll to a large one. Spacing will be challenging to figure out but it's doable. Am I getting it right?

You engrave your master in tool steel. You need to get it to around 57 to 60 Rockwell. Engrave first then heat treat. I take a piece of tape and use it to measure the distance around my female roll. Then you turn it to the diameter you need to get the pattern to lock.

There is no escaping the engraving that's a skill you need to do these kind of dies. If you have a 4th axis on a mill with a 50 thousand rpm spindle and you know how to program it you could get something similar but hand engraving is difficult to replicate on a cnc mill.

I'm getting it in my head. You said do the center first, once the center is pressed you do the same process for the sides, then harden and press. You were so right and that's what was driving me crazy that they had to have an easy process because of available tools at the time. Did you literally figure this all out in your head?

I learned to do this from old roll makers I flew out to rhode island and spent a couple weeks learning to do this. The big hurdle is finding the old machines and making arbors to fit all the rolls. We have hundreds of arbors for all the different rolls and we have about 10 mills running and another 5 or 6 in storage for spare parts.

I saw your arbors have a nut threaded between the frames. Mine had a sleeve that `tightened from the outside of the frame. I made up new arbors with keyways last week with set screw collars - not sure if they will hold without movement - but I like the way yours work. I set up two machines - 1 for 1 3/4 arbors, 1 for 2 inch arbors. I don't have a ton of dies but enough to learn the technique. Some are pairs, others are singles, and some have several males with 1 female covering them. When I first started messing with these spaces actually were the headache - I ended up just having a bunch made because I couldn't find any. I'm still learning obviously. I have loads of engraving and die making tools I have been working with to get better at creating the looks I want. I absolutely love the look of what these rolls can create. That attelboro machine for corners is insane.

That's made by augate. It's basically a bead roller. You arbors need to be pretty strong. I heatreated ours and the od ground them. If you don't get everything really round you pattern will curve , my first arbors didn't work. I couldn't keep the strip rolling straight.

I've run into that too I was thinking it was warping from uneven pressure on the side bolts. I don't remember what machine you were working on but I think its one you are doing now - beautiful design. The 2 inch arbors I just did are 1144 and I plan to heat treat them. I got the set screw collar idea from an arbor that was original to one of the machines. It was set to run sheets but rather then using the full area to press they had collars. I thought it was worth trying. If they don't work I'll go with either the sleeve or the nut. My real challenge will be getting my engraving skills stronger. I'm still shakey on the concept you taught me - I'll try it out with a bogus thing I make to learn the process. The deep cuts morrow used - they used the same process ? I had no idea you could press that deep into tool steel

The stuff morrow was doing they acid etched to help get the metal out. I have done a few deep ones you use asphalt and you roll into the recieving roll then you use nitric acid to burn away the steel. You keep driving the male roll into the female roll and etching. It's very time consuming. You need to put gears on them to make sure they run together. There are lots of ways to make rolls the art and the design are the biggest factor in what process you will use. Start engraving simple stuff and roll into your female roll. I use a Warner swasey 3 to sink my rolls. I use a big wrench on the chuck jaws and crank it around. Then I advance the cross slide. I also use the rolling mill in the pic.

Thanks for taking your time to explain all this. My brain has been working through this for months and not getting anywhere - I gotta crash - i'll work on some stuff tomorrow - best wishes. mike

It's insane how many patterns we have. The industry collapsed we specialize in old dies so we buy up these collections. This is like 7 or 8 companies in one shop now.

Back