What's new
What's new

Romi machine tools?

yunggun51

Plastic
Does anyone have any experience with newer Romi lathes and mills? I ran an old Romi lathe at the first shop I ever worked at and it was a good machine. But there are hardly any threads on here about them. Just curious if anyone out there has had their hands on any of their newer stuff.

They are decent machines. The C series teach lathes are fairly robust, and the pairing with the Siemens 828D is pretty great. I would not buy anything too fancy from Romi; they are made in Brazil, so of course, set your expectations accordingly. Support is also pretty limited, which is a further incentive to stick to basic machines.

I used to have a pretty good relationship with some of the folks at Romi USA, and would have considered taking a gamble on one of their 5 axis VMC's several years ago, but at the time they way overpriced compared to their Taiwanese competitors.

They are decent machines. The C series teach lathes are fairly robust, and the pairing with the Siemens 828D is pretty great. I would not buy anything too fancy from Romi; they are made in Brazil, so of course, set your expectations accordingly. Support is also pretty limited, which is a further incentive to stick to basic machines.

I used to have a pretty good relationship with some of the folks at Romi USA, and would have considered taking a gamble on one of their 5 axis VMC's several years ago, but at the time they way overpriced compared to their Taiwanese competitors.
I believe the machine I ran was a C series machine. We would turn a lot of long steel shafts. Held good tolerance over long distance. I wonder how much a new one is going for

Have an M17 "teach" lathe with the Fanuc 21i and i absolutely love it. Its been rock solid and reliable. Holds good tolerances and is easy to run in either manual or program mode.
Disagree in the above comments about fit and finish.....as good or better IMO than anything in their price range.
Local support might be an issue, can,t say have needed none since i bought the machine 6 years ago....not missed a day in service.
Cheers Ross

Back