What's new
What's new

Rotary vs static for CNC?

DBcooper

Aluminum
I'm looking to purchase a larger phase converter to power my shop. Currently I have a 10hp but need bigger for bigger machines. I've located a phase perfect static phase converter and a rotary, at comparable prices. I'm currently running two CNC machines with the possibility of a 3rd. What would y'all recommend? I know phase perfect are on the higher side cost wise, are they worth it and why? What is something to look for or avoid in either?

They both work but a digital Phase Perfect will make the most of the power you have available. I have been running my entire shop on a 30hp PT-380 Phase Perfect for the past 10 years. I only have 200 amps of 240v single phase available to me and the PP does the job well. My biggest machine is a Mazak CNC lathe with a 22KW motor.

FYI, a static phase converter is not the same thing as a digital phase converter.

Is the system you have already a rotary phase converter? If so, you can just add more 3 phase idlers. Best way to do this is use a 3 phase load center and put every motor, idler or machine, on its own circuit. Got to design a way to run all idlers to run before using machines.

They both work but a digital Phase Perfect will make the most of the power you have available. I have been running my entire shop on a 30hp PT-380 Phase Perfect for the past 10 years. I only have 200 amps of 240v single phase available to me and the PP does the job well. My biggest machine is a Mazak CNC lathe with a 22KW motor.

FYI, a static phase converter is not the same thing as a digital phase converter.
Good to know, I think I'll move forward with the Phase Perfect. I'm not sure why I always used them interchangeably but I appreciate the correction. The PP I have a lead on has amperage capabilities above what my service to the shop is, so I wont even be using it to it's maximum potential, but even with the power I do have, I would be able to start all spindles in the shop simultaneously.

Thank the Lord that I have never had to deal with this as I have 400 amps of 480 on the bus.
I outgrew the original 200 amp service but the power company was more than happy to up my service for free.
But might put some stuff up north. No three phase at this location.
Are rotaries better at starting high inertia loads over static or digital?
Seems a digital would be more efficient since you are not spinning a motor at all times?
What is the noise consideration? Any problem putting the idler in a shed outside even if the temps get below zero?
Bob

What I wouldn't give to have even 200a of 3 phase.. well I guess the answer is less than 10k, cause that's what my power company wanted to run it to my building lol. Noise really isn't a huge concern, I can deal with white noise, my current idler isn't any louder than either machine while running. My biggest concern is the quality of voltage, as far as which will produce the smoothest power for a CNC

Back