What's new
What's new

Round-dial 10EE ELSR

Bathgate1982

Plastic
My first 10EE was a 1943 with MG. I went through it and rebuilt it, hand scraped the cross slide and compound, fixed the ELSR rube goldberg setup incl. repoured babbit bearings, overhauled the 2-spd gearbox, replaced the MG and DC brushes, etc. But it was just too noisy. Could not hold a conversation with it running or hear the classical music I like in my shop. So I bought the 1940 machine and haven't looked back in 25 years. Since then I also owned and rebuilt a 74 modular, a 57 WIAD and my current project, a 59 WIAD. None tempted me to sell the 1940 machine. It is quiet, lives up to its Monarch pedigree and I am happy with it.
Hello, interesting you seem to have a great amount of experience with the older 10ee's. I see here you happen to have experience with the older MG setup with the ELSR system. I currently have a 1942 round dial and it is equipped with the ELSR. It appears to me that spindle start function is only enabled with the selector switch on the top of the ELSR control. And when you select right or left that will allow for spindle rotation selection. Not sure if this is correct figure I ask.

Round-dial ELSR machines originally had a control rod that passed through apron. A movable handle on the rod, to the right of the apron, was intended as the primary control from the spindle and doubled as the right-hand stop for the ELSR system. The switch on top of the "tombstone", on the front of the headstock, is there to change the sense of the switch mechanism, so that it matches the left- or right-hand thread setting of the headstock. The system apparently wasn't very successful and virtually all of the round-dial ELSR machines have had the control rod disabled or removed. Round-dial Parts Picture E-14 shows all of the components of the ELSR system. (You can find the parts pictures in the 1942 manual; see 10EE sticky.)

Please post some photos of your machine so that we can see what, if anything, you're missing.

Round-dial ELSR machines originally had a control rod that passed through apron. A movable handle on the rod, to the right of the apron, was intended as the primary control from the spindle and doubled as the right-hand stop for the ELSR system. The switch on top of the "tombstone", on the front of the headstock, is there to change the sense of the switch mechanism, so that it matches the left- or right-hand thread setting of the headstock. The system apparently wasn't very successful and virtually all of the round-dial ELSR machines have had the control rod disabled or removed. Round-dial Parts Picture E-14 shows all of the components of the ELSR system. (You can find the parts pictures in the 1942 manual; see 10EE sticky.)

Please post some photos of your machine so that we can see what, if anything, you're missing.

Attachments

• 20240203_124406.jpg
    20240203_124406.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
  • 20240203_124424.jpg
    20240203_124424.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 57
  • 20240131_100005.jpg
    20240131_100005.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 21
You have the control rod. Someone has moved the control handle to the left side of the carriage. There was originally another movable stop on the left side in that location. Raising/lowering the handle should turn the spindle on/off, but the selector on the top needs to be in either the left or right position. As with other ELSR machines that have shown up here, the ELSR function has been rendered inoperative.

The lever in the feed/thread direction knob is not original.
20240203_124424-jpg.427838

What's the serial number and build date of the machine?

Back