What's new
What's new

Round dial strange vacuum tube behavior

Spookydad

Plastic
I am working on a '62 Round dial that belongs to a friend who is currently working out of state. Pardon me if I don't have all the Monarch lingo down just yet.

It has been working fine for the past year or so. It is on straight 3 phase power so no VFD. When it arrived originally, one of the wires on the largest vacuum tubes was broken off and the tube was replaced. A couple of tubes were purchased on ebay but only the one with the broken wire needed to be replaced. It ran fine.

Recently the replaced tube blew. On inspection it appears the heater coil is blown. The old tube had charred wiring around where the one wire broke off. We replaced the blown tube with the other tube that was purchased on ebay. It didn't glow or get warm. We swapped the positions of the tubes and the tube that was original to the machine (when we got it) works in either position. The replacement doesn't work in either position but the heater coil seems to work and there is comparable resistance on the heater circuits of both tubes.

We have someone who builds tube based Guitar amps that has tested some of the smaller tubes and gone over the various resistors and capacitors on the main panel. Everything seems to check out.

The spindle will start with only one working tube but it is obviously not getting enough power and will trip the breaker after less than a minute. When the machine starts there is a buzzing coming from above the forward/reverse contactors. The actual contacts on the contactors were badly pitted but were cleaned up as best as we could when the machine arrived. There appears to be some arcing going on now. Continuity was tested on all the cloth covered wires on each contactor. If the machine is started in forward, the buzzing seems to be coming from the coil above the contactor on the left, and if it is started in reverse the coil above the contactor on the right appears to be buzzing.

The machine will just barely start on belt drive but will start reasonably with the back gears, although the motor seems to be running faster than normal.

There is oil in all the sight glasses and the oils have all been drained and replaced regularly. We are getting the common leak from the chuck reservoir into the main reservoir. The spindle turns freely and runs as quiet as only a Monarch can. (Well it was until the tube blew.) The machine gets light but regular use and we have a South Bend for medium work, and a 16" Leblond for heavy work.

Would it be possible to put some solder on the surface of the contactor nuts to level out the surface? The pitting is almost 1/8" deep on some with a groove that matches the 1/2 round shape of the floating part of the contactor. I don't think this will solve our problem as the pitting is mostly on the forward contactor and the symptoms are the worst when trying to run it backwards.

What should I check next?

Where should I measure the field supply voltage?
What material are the contactor nuts made from? I had assumed brass but these seem to be white. Far too heavy to be aluminum unless it is some weird alloy.

I am working on a '62 Round dial that belongs to a friend who is currently working out of state. Pardon me if I don't have all the Monarch lingo down just yet.

It has been working fine for the past year or so. It is on straight 3 phase power so no VFD. When it arrived originally, one of the wires on the largest vacuum tubes was broken off and the tube was replaced. A couple of tubes were purchased on ebay but only the one with the broken wire needed to be replaced. It ran fine.
Your machine is a square-dial 10EE. (None of the round-dials had tube drives.) Based on the year, it's probably a "modular" drive machine. Does it have a big, hinged door under the chip pan, like this:

monarch_10EE.jpg

Cal

"Nuts"? dunno. The CONTACTS one long-ago Day Job, we used to make from 'coin' silver. It is heavier than brass, yes, but hardly "weird".

:)

The cap unscrews and looks like a nut that someone filled in on one side only. I was trying to be more specific about which part of the contact I was talking about. The other side looks a lot like a piano hammer.

I think those contacts are platinum. Do you have a copy of the Monarch WIAD tube setup procedure? That might help your troubleshooting.

OK, that would make it a Works in a Drawer (WiaD) drive machine. (I thought that Monarch switched over to the modular drive about 1960.) So the tubes, etc., are mounted in a big drawer, located under the tailstock, right?

Cal

Yes they are under the tailstock and it does pull out like a drawer.

Your machine is a square-dial 10EE. (None of the round-dials had tube drives.)

I know we have seen at least one round dial that was rebuilt by Monarch and that had its original drive replaced by a modern drive. I think it was a Sundstrand drive machine. So a tube-drive round dial is definitely not outside the range of possibility.

Here, i can type this out. Place a DC voltmeter across terminals GA2 & S1 on the electronic unit. Loosen all locknuts and turn all the contols on the electronic unit to zero ( rotate extreme CCW). Set the spindle speed control knob halfway between minimun and maximum and place the spindle contol lever in the forward position. Spindle will not rotate. Advance minimum voltage control until meter reads 98 volts. The spindle will now rotate. Advance the compensation control until the voltage reads 102.5. Advance voltage control until voltmeter reads 245 volts. With spindle speed control knob adjust spindle speed to approx. 75 rpm. Load spindle by gripping with both hands. If spindle decreases in speed with increase compensation control. If spindle speed increases with load, decrease compensation control. Advance maximum speed control until maximum speed is indicated on the tach. If spindle varies in speed at high rpm, reduce the speed a small amount with the maximum voltage control, and bring it back to original speed with the minimum voltage control. Lock all controls with locknuts. This should get you started.

No, all the panels have twist lock handles holding removable doors.
This is it.
View attachment 133712

It would help to know exactly what year your machine was built, the data plate is on the end of the base casting on the tailstock end........BTW that is not a 1962, probably more likely late fifties.
Not sure how much difference it makes but there are subtle changes in these drives as time passed.

Kevin

I must be missing something...if the replacement tube isn`t working,why wouldn`t you assume that that`s the problem?

Well that is a strong possibility but there could be something in line with the tube that may be throwing the circuit out of balance. The heater coil on the old tube tests bad, but the replacement has comparable resistance to the known working tube. If it is an adjustment problem the two tubes might be out of balance enough to shift all the power to the "good" tube. I don't want to order another tube, only to find out that isn't the problem. The replacement tube is getting warm, where the removed one was completely cold. I don't know enough about the circuit to know for sure.

Among other things, you should measure the field supply voltage. Its "un-weakened source" 'As far as I know' is involved in providing power for the contactor coils as well as the motor. It is also NOT meant to be weakened for starting or braking. The 'weak' but too-fast motor and the chattering contactors hint at issues there.

As to the contacts: No - NOT tin/antimony or tin/lead plumbing or electrical solder. All that gets you is a more toxic arc fireball.

It is not Rocket Science to rebuild the contactors professionally if you have the materials and the experience. PM member 9100 is equipped to do that.

Bill

The contacts are almost certainly silver. Most are silver with a couple percent copper, so called coin silver, as Bill says. Silver alloyed with tungsten or cadmium oxide is used in more demanding services, but that is unlikely here. Putting soft solder on them is guaranteed disaster, probably in the form of welding them closed.

I may have replacement contactors available but in any case, I can rebuild yours.

Bill

Back