What's new
What's new

RS232 Connected USB Stick Memory Available? - Like Old Greco Mini File

Hi All,

The computer we use to up/download programs to our myriad 'vintage' (said politely) machines with Fanuc 10TF/OT/OM/OTD/OTF/Hitachi Multi-L/Seicos J machines died today. We are in a jam. Is there anything out there that would let me stick a USB stick on a machine via the RS230 to use for program or memory expansion like the old Greco Mini File?? Then when the network tanks I can move programs via USB if I have to. I I could leave them plugged in all the time as machine memory if required.
TIA,
William

Chip Chester

Diamond
The IO Gear USB to RS232 adapter IOGEAR - GUC232A - USB to Serial Adapter
has worked well for me for many years. Supported in all OS, and doesn't flake out or drop characters. Also, any of the FTDI chipset converters are good, too: 12in. USB 2.0 RS-232 Serial Adapter FTDI Chip 920K with Tx/Rx LED

Either of these, along with your terminal program of choice (Hyperterminal or RealTerm), can get you into your machine from a modern laptop. Not an industrially-packaged approach, though.

There are many ruggedized industrial stand-alone computers out there that have multiple RS-232 ports, plus USB, and that will run DOS (with USB support) or Windows. I have a couple from EMAC Computers in Carbondale IL that are performing well. (Not specifically on a CNC machine, however.)

Two ebay related options that are directly applicable. Haven't used either, not mine, etc.

USB READER to RS232. DNC TITAN. DRIP FEED for CNC MACHINE | eBay

USB reader for CNC's, HAAS-FANUC-for most CNCs, connect to RS232, ShopLink FLASH 702038326366 | eBay