What's new
What's new

Rubber tirechains

SeymourDumore

Diamond
Guys, does anyone have any experience with rubber tire chains on a Bobcat?

I am going to be moving snow with a Bobcat ( skidsteer) on a brand new paved driveway, and would absolutely hate to screw it up with the standard chains.
Chains, in these woods with the every freakin' time it snows it ices up is a must so no option there, but thinking that the rubber would give enough traction and not leave a mark.
I have the snow blower attachment for the machine so won't be dragging a plow back and forth, and only be using the bucket for the entrances ( stinkin' city plows ...:mad5: )
Beyond that, I either don't use the machine for any hard work during the winter, or will be removing the chains if I do, so there should be not much stress on them rubbers..

Anyone have any experience with how they're holding up or work in the snow?

These are what I was thinking about: https://rubbertirechains.com/rubber-tire-chains-c-4.html

From the website’s FAQ:

Do rubber tire chains really work?

…What we're really selling; though, is a set of chains that will improve traction without causing damage to your paved surface. In other words, you would want to buy these chains because you're concerned about damaging your blacktop, not because you want something that will take you up that steep driveway that you've never been able to conquer before…

Seems like a reasonable alternative to steel chains IMO.

I can see how they would help in the mud, but packed snow / ice? :skep:

--------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Ox, you are correct about ice being something of a penetrable concrete, to which rubber is of no match.
But!
My main issue for having chains is not for the paved surface, rather the unpaved and uneven areas off the pavement, where my previous attempts at cleaning snow properly resulted in a bloody mess of ice with packed snow on top.
And this is now also a reply to RC.
The terrain is nothing otherwise inaccessible or steep, just a gently sloped driveway.
If I can properly clean the now newly paved surface using the rubber chains, I won't need to deal with a clean sheet of ice afterwards.
The unpaved area ( which is a bit larger ) is going to be a mess no matter what, but perhaps those rubber bands will provide some traction.

Now, on another line of thought ...
Is there an easy-on easy-off style of tire chain available for offroad equipment?
The chains from Bobcat Official is an absolute friggin' nightmare to put on!!!
Those pivoting clamps are a bitch!
Perhaps if I can easily mount and remove an honest to god chain set, I might be OK.

Just a thought, but [if you find that the rubbers don't werk] one set of real chains on each side may be a compromise to chainin' everybody up.

With everybody chained up, I am sure that there would be much sideways slide that would scratch the surface, but if one per side, those should be the two tires that it pivots on, reducing the side slide greatly.

Or, at least it sounds good from the office chair anyhow....
And I don't think that I have ever ran a skid loader.
Working with a back-hoe for the first time currently.
(Ran front end loader since I was 11teen tho)

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Possibly a crushed cinder spreader would be good for traction and not mar up the pavement.
Ops. we don't have cinders any more so some other form of grit just used when slipping so not to use up too much..good that when the grounds are frozen you are not likely to dig in to get stuck.

If one could come up with a 5 to 10 grit size that was not much more costly than sand.
That is about .070 to .150 ( my ballpark guess)

Last edited:

I am going to be moving snow with a Bobcat ( skidsteer) on a brand new paved driveway, and would absolutely hate to screw it up with the standard chains.
Chains, in these woods with the every freakin' time it snows it ices up is a must so no option there, but thinking that the rubber would give enough traction and not leave a mark.
I have the snow blower attachment for the machine so won't be dragging a plow back and forth, and only be using the bucket for the entrances ( stinkin' city plows ...:mad5: )
Beyond that, I either don't use the machine for any hard work during the winter, or will be removing the chains if I do, so there should be not much stress on them rubbers..

These are what I was thinking about: https://rubbertirechains.com/rubber-tire-chains-c-4.html
they make snow tires specifically for skid steers. standard mud tires get rock solid in the snow. I've used the standard and it spins here and there. just need to learn to clean the snow before it freezes. if lots of ice, scrape it then a small amount of salt to break the surface adhesion. Chains are a bit overkill unless you are going up and down steep inclines. my driveway goes up 8 ft over 80ft, so 10% grade and havent had any issues cleaning mine and everyone else around me in the winter.

I would ask over at www.heavyequipmentforums.com
in the skid steer section.

And I don't think that I have ever ran a skid loader.

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
They are allot of fun...Just wiggle the sticks with your hands and the pedals with your feet.
Easy Peasy.

Been using real chains on my farm tractors on the paved yard at the barn since it was paved in '78. Ain't worn through the asphalt anywhere yet, and they weigh 8 and 10000 pounds respectively.

Been using real chains on my farm tractors on the paved yard at the barn since it was paved in '78. Ain't worn through the asphalt anywhere yet, and they weigh 8 and 10000 pounds respectively.

BUT the tires on the tractor likely don't spin much?
And they Shirley don't "skid".
But your post does give some credence to my post about just puting one set on each side.

61:

You don't think that plastic tracks would be as slippery?
Seems to me that they could be way worse than the tires?

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

OK, well - it's a hard rubber then eh?

Either way, the tracks would git'cher over and through the snow, but seems like they would have too low'a pressure/sqr" to provide much traction on packed snow/ice?

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

OK, well - it's a hard rubber then eh?

Either way, the tracks would git'cher over and through the snow, but seems like they would have too low'a pressure/sqr" to provide much traction on packed snow/ice?

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
I have lots of seat time in a skid loader, but 0 time with tracks, or snow. A few of the industrial yards out here run the tracked skid steers, and they push snow with them, so it must work to a degree. Maybe best to push the snow before it gets packed into ice by vehicles.

Ox
I am only putting chains on the two back tires.
Not much sense on the front anyway as you unload them as soon as the bucket hits the ground.
Also, if you do get stuck, you use the bucket to lift up the front and push you back out of trouble, therefore chains on the back.

BT
Steep up or downhills don't matter a whole lot, but when you pile up a 5' high snowbank and you get stuck in it, nothing will get you out better than chains.
Sure, you can use the bucket, but that is also the best way to dig into the pavement with it.

Not sure how tracks would handle snow. I know all the towns here have both, skidsteers and CTL-s, but on snow it's always tires with chains, never the track loaders.

Reactions: Ox
yes, i have driven a couple of large farm tractors with chains....However you are steering.

A skid steer must skid to steer.

So you are dancing around a compromise between traction and the ability to skid without scratching the concrete.

I would try the snow tires mentioned above.

True, a farm tractor tends to steer but many times when pushing snow with a rear blade one tends to spin some. I figured a skid steer blowing snow would not have to do many 180s, more like a gentle turn at the start of each pass. What is the weight of the unit in question?

Another point.
Using a snowblower requires much less traction.
Don't want to scratch up the driveway ? Don't use chains or tracks.

Back