What's new
What's new

Rubber tirechains

Don't want to scratch up the driveway ? Don't use chains or tracks.

I'd love to do that, except ...
The chains I've got ( Bobcat original ) are an absolute BITCH to mount on a nice, dry, warm day.
Doing it in the cold, in the middle of the night, specially when everything is pretty much frozen snow, well, I don't want to write that down here ...

If you know of an easy to mount chainset, I am all for it!

True, a farm tractor tends to steer but many times when pushing snow with a rear blade one tends to spin some. I figured a skid steer blowing snow would not have to do many 180s, more like a gentle turn at the start of each pass. What is the weight of the unit in question?
The weight is something like #7000, but like Doug said, any turn involves a "skid", regardless how gentle it is.
A tractor could do a figure 8 on a lawn and not make a mark.
A skid steer will leave a mark deep enough to roll a soccer ball around in.

As to snow tires ...
The loader's tires are already pretty aggressive, so not sure how much a snowtire would help ( though will look into it ).
Since the grooves are rigid, snow and ice will pack into it no matter what. When that happens though, they might as well be slicks.
The advantage of a chain ( in addition to being able to penetrate the ice ) is that it's loose, so it cannot pack up.
My thinking with the rubber chain is that though it will not penetrate the ice, it is still loose so the packing up won't happen.

Sure I can. It has a nice home in the detached garage, but it is unheated. She doesn't need much heat, but my hands do for them chains!

Anyhoo, just ordered a set. At $165/set of two it is very reasonable.
I will chime back on how they work ( or not ) in a couple of months ( or less )

Last edited:
I'd love to do that, except ...
The chains I've got ( Bobcat original ) are an absolute BITCH to mount on a nice, dry, warm day.
Doing it in the cold, in the middle of the night, specially when everything is pretty much frozen snow, well, I don't want to write that down here ...

If you know of an easy to mount chainset, I am all for it!
YES !
"Don't use chains, use snow tires".
BTW my bobcat I made chains for, and leave them on all winter.

The weight is something like #7000, but like Doug said, any turn involves a "skid", regardless how gentle it is.
A tractor could do a figure 8 on a lawn and not make a mark.
A skid steer will leave a mark deep enough to roll a soccer ball around in.

As to snow tires ...
The loader's tires are already pretty aggressive, so not sure how much a snowtire would help ( though will look into it ).
Since the grooves are rigid, snow and ice will pack into it no matter what. When that happens though, they might as well be slicks.
The advantage of a chain ( in addition to being able to penetrate the ice ) is that it's loose, so it cannot pack up.
My thinking with the rubber chain is that though it will not penetrate the ice, it is still loose so the packing up won't happen.
"Agressive" is not "Snow"
Snow tires are skinny, for higher ground pressure, and the many times the rubber compound is softer to grip on ice.
My Bobcat (a 642) came with 8.50 x 15" tires, they don't make the rims anymore, new is 10" wide. it works great on ice, and not so good in dirt. Spin once in dirt, and they dig right down.

Sure I can. It has a nice home in the detached garage, but it is unheated. She doesn't need much heat, but my hands do for them chains!

Anyhoo, just ordered a set. At $165/set of two it is very reasonable.
I will chime back on how they work ( or not ) in a couple of months ( or less )
Put down a sacrificial sheet of OSB ($20 each year) and park on that
to not damage the concrete in the shop.

looks like such might be good/OK in snow but not much good for ice
Unless they had some abrasive grin in the rubber

My bobcat not so happy in the ice.
Neither is my forklift.
On the bikes I just put in lots of sheet metal screws. these are not so nice to the asphalt or concrete.
On the sleds the standard 288 carbide triangles take care of the ice, but do eat everything.
There is a reason chains are outlawed and places where you must run.
An interesting problem.

As a side we may get some snow and ice here tonight. Yes, yes, yes.

288? :eek:
I've never ran a stud in my life!

Some years ago - we were riding back Mile 38 Rd (N of The Soo) and there were some chums of a chum there with us. There were some 4stroke Yammi's in the bunch, and they just didn't doo quite so well off trail.

I grabbed a ski like any other day and gave a yank, and as he starts moving I told him to GIVE'R.
Running over my leg is fine - just keep on it!

And then I changed my tune on that real quick when I realized these were trail riders that I don't know, and I got him WHOED!
I asked ... "studs?"

"No"

THANK GOD!
I just aboot didn't want to look - although I hadn't felt anything yet, but that really doesn't mean much.
Those RER buttons on the Zx chassis Doo's?
I couldn't tell you how many of those I have sent to their grave with my knee.
Never felt a one!

No pain while the motor's runnin'!

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

288? :eek:

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
The sled for the wife only has 72. Not the point ones, the carbide triangle ones.
Either way the garage and driveway sure know it. She get aggressive and I have to say no-no-no.
Running in decent snow they make no difference at all and not worth the problems they make.

Last edited:
I do not see why rubber chains would do anything. I suppose they increase ground pressure to push down through the snow to hard pavement. Are the rubber chains a softer more grippy rubber then the tire treads?
maybe thy act like paddles in deep snow.
Bill D

Check out post #32:

Last edited:
I have a tracked CAT 257B3 skid steer and a wheeled Bobcat S205 skid steer. I think they are roughly the same horsepower and weight. The tracked skid steer does fine pushing snow, even on ice. But turning on ice really doesn't work out at all. The wheeled Bobcat seems fine in the snow and ice. Definitely turns better.

My best vehicle for snow and ice is my 27k lb telehandler with narrow tires with almost an ag tread on them. It gets the pressure down to the ground and is my preferred machine for pulling stuck stuff out of the snow.

I do not see why rubber chains would do anything. I suppose they increase ground pressure to push down through the snow to hard pavement. Are the rubber chains a softer more grippy rubber then the tire treads?
maybe they act like paddles in deep snow.
Bill D

Last edited:
I load and unload trucks with a skid steer in the winter. skid steer chains get some of the worst abuse of any chaining system the continually sliding sideways trying to peel them off will litterly bend the latching hooks thats when I usually lose a chain I chain all 4 and I find whichever chain fell off and put it back on usually 3 times a winter its just heavy locking systems that have to be wired locked and heavy chain. dont know how you can get around it.

Nor am I in Buffalo ( 6' projected this weekend :willy_nilly:)

Got the chains in today.
They're ... well, looked a bit heavier duty in the pictures .
Will install then in the next couple of weeks ( or sooner if snow comes ) and report.

Reactions: Ox

Back