What's new
What's new

Rust Prevention n Starret and other similar tools

Froneck

Titanium
I read here the ad for LPS 3 and Break Free. I know Break Free is pretty good but if I recall it dries to a sticky film. I don't remember why I stopped using it. Starrett M1 doesn't seem to do a good job either. Being a Tool Nut It's easier to ask what I don't have in the Starret catalog thought I don't have the newer digital stuff except a few items.
Some of the items I don't use much and keep it in original Starret card board box though a few have wooden boxes with a few being in both.
Those that I don't use often I will spray with maybe M1, also wet the box bottom with M1 but to often find a light rust coating on some surfaces!
Does anyone have a better suggestion or has anyone used the LSP-3 advertised here in the forum? Measuring tool box is Oak construction, 2 are Grizzly, one Gerstner and 2 other brands that are located in my office. However a few tools that I have quite a few duplicates of that remain near the machine I use them on never seem to have a rust issue!

G96 gun spray, I've used this on drill tables and little stuff.
Works pretty good for me

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

The best thing for storage is a little oil and and a ziploc bag. No moist air, no rust.

Boeshield T-9 works well on measuring instruments stored inside and subject to modest humidity.. Provides less protection compared to something like LPS-3 but leaves only a slightly waxy protective coating which is easily removed by a fresh application and a wipe down.

Hoppe's #9 gun cleaning oil does leave a protective film
that dries very thin. Will it gum up a slide caliper
or a micrometer ? I have found the answer to be no or only
just a little. I use it on many tools in my shop.
And it smells nice.

-Doozer

And FWIW, again IME OAK tool boxes are BAD NEWS (I'm no chemist, but was told ??? it's something to do with the tannin in oak )

And yet, Gerstner & Sons have been making oak toolboxes for almost 120 years. I have one, and it causes no trouble at all. Same with other companies.

The drawers have oak fronts. They are not entirely oak, but the case is.

Apparently the oak causes no issues, at least once it is finished, and if the tools do not rest in pockets in the oak. However, the split rivets and other hardware seem to have no ill effects from passing through unfinished holes in the oak, or resting against it.

Tannins can darken steel. I don't know that they rust or otherwise damage it. I have used spent tea leaves to do emergency blackening of steel (needed some dark hardware immediately for a trade show piece), and it did nothing bad.

Wood toolboxes seem in general to keep tools rust-free better than metal ones. And that includes oak.

Boeshield T-9 works well on measuring instruments stored inside and subject to modest humidity.. Provides less protection compared to something like LPS-3 but leaves only a slightly waxy protective coating which is easily removed by a fresh application and a wipe down.

So actually LPS-3 is very good? I really don't want to plastic bag all the tools in my Oak Tool boxes. Only things in the Oak tool boxes have Starrett, some Brown&Sharpe, Mitutoyo, lufkin and other similar brands. Any wrenches will only fit micrometers! All are precision measurement items. So I want to protect them as best as I can. In my shop I have 8 Kennedy, Craftsman and other steel tool chests for my shop tools, taps, reamers and more, needed in my shop so they don't get put in the Oak boxes.

What is the humidity and temperature in your office and most important how much does it change daily? It might be easier to control that than rust.

I have lots of stuff and have no problems, I don’t even need to keep it oiled.

What is the humidity and temperature in your office and most important how much does it change daily? It might be easier to control that than rust.

I have lots of stuff and have no problems, I don’t even need to keep it oiled.

Thinking about it, rivett has probably nailed it - big changes in temp and especially humidity are bad news.

I tried boesheild after ready a similar post here- checked on some wood workers sites. Happy with it, no sticky film and you can wipe it while wet for a micro thickness of the wax.

1] Central heating

2] Gerstner

The wood is tighter than a metal toolbox and I think moderates moisture. It is the temperature swings in an unheated building that cause rust

Humidity in my office is low! Seems like only a few items rust. Items like Starrett 226 micrometer (complete set 0 to 8") after a long time sitting will get a slight rusting on the bow but spindle is spotless. Also have complete set (2" to 7") of Starrett 239 Micrometers they too have a slight rusting on the frame. By slight I mean a slight orangish brown dusting that easily wipes off. Yet another item like the 1.000 setting gauge I mentioned in another topic has a few dark brown spots on each end but bore (the important area) is as clean as the day it was ground. It was sitting in original box that I sprayed with Starrett M1. After use of those not often used items I do clean finger prints and oil before returning to tool box.
Yesterday I was looking at Youtube, I wasn't looking for information nor thought it existed but it came up probably because I subscribe to the guys videos.. Don't remember the topic exactly but he was testing CLP products. Breakfree CLP was good but not the best for Rust, Fluid Film was. Boesheild tested one of the worst in all test except maybe one. LPS-3 was not tested.

I feel like I've been fighting rust more this year than any other. Shop is in the bay area. Mostly on Cat40 tool holders sitting on carts that haven't been used in a while. I'm moving them into drawers (custom workbenches I may start to market in the future) with rechargeable desiccant packets. The jury is still out.

Do any of you use desiccant packets to limit humidity and prevent rust? Do they work?

Back