What's new
What's new

Safety tip for today.

BT Fabrication

Stainless
ya, most with common sense wouldn't do this..... brushes exist for a reason. and might as well do like the millwright ive seen. had gloves on while on a manual mill and caught it around the spindle as he grabbed it to slow it down and stop the spindle.

Peter S

Diamond
"I'll just brush those chips away so I can see what's going on"...yeah, slow learner, but better than a finger ...:nutter:

I have a 300mm/12" rule from a combination square set which I somehow knocked under the guillotine - however it was foot operated and the rule was hardened. There is a divot on the blade but amazingly it is still straight. Mitutoyo combination sets are the best :o

6 inch rule warning.jpg

Last edited:

Philabuster

Diamond
Better not to leave one on the shear table. Unless you want two smaller scales. Ask me how I know.
I ran the shear today and I thought of this comment as I was laying the scale down on the shear to measure the back gage stop. I forgot about the scale and the result was the same. Go figure. :bawling:

Attachments

• 20230425_092853_resized.jpg
    20230425_092853_resized.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 43

FredC

Diamond
Fifty years ago, I was asked by a foreman to run the set up he just finished. The first thing was to gauge the length with a rule then close the pneumatic vice jaws on the copper tube. He had two foot pedals next to the mill and hit the wrong one. Instead of the vice closing the swage pushed his finger and rule into the vice jaws. He was yelling at me to hit the retract pedal. I looked at that mess of air hoses and could not tell which was which and was afraid to hit the wrong one. Sure did not want to close the vice jaws on his finger and rule that were now inside the jaws. He lost part of his finger and had the tool maker grind the end of his rule square for a mini rule. Mercifully they put someone else on that machine to run the job. That guy cut a finger to the bone on the unguarded 8 inch cut off wheel.

Thinking about it 50 years later, the thing to have done was disconnect the air hoses.

I guess the moral of this thread is a rule can protect you or hurt you.

Last edited: