What's new
What's new

SB 10L (1945) Mystery Squeak...Thoughts?

I did and that lead to more info - thank you very very much. Maybe they did the bronze bearings since it was a tool room lathe?
I'm teetering on whether to "freshen it up" (clean/adjust paint or go through a full refurbishment - I've never rebuilt anything like this - so I'm hesitant to bite off more than I can chew.
The bed definitely has some wear - so the counter is - is it even worth it?
This machine has done me right though - I've done hundreds of precision rifle barrels/chambering and threading - I'm not turning long lengths - so the bed wear has never been an issue. (yet)
Fascinating though to take some of it apart and see the quality and strength of a 78 yr old machine..

Thanks again.

Sounds like your 10L and our 44' 10L are about in the same boat. Fair amount of bed wear, but still in regular reliable service being one of the most used manual machines in our shop. IMO, it's not a question of "is it worth a full refurbishment," but just a question of timing and allocation of funds. IMO a full refit may not directly solve any issues, but it will make the machine more efficient and more enjoyable to use. Instead of taking several cuts sneaking up on a size, you'd be able to do the same cut in one or two passes. It's a commitment though to get it done and get it done right if that's the road you take.

Someday, mine's going to get the whole 9 yards, but I've got too many projects in the fire and that lathe is too useful right now. It's been several years, but I think the last quote I got to send out my bed for grinding was somewhere around $1250, not counting my own time inspecting, scraping, adding Rulon, and doing all the other paint and repair tasks while it's apart. For me though, the lathe has paid for itself several times over, so as long as the time/money cost of a rebuild is less than buying a comparable new lathe (IMO that rules out much of the new manual lathe market, but I'm biased), then it's worth it. Bonus points too as my dad loved this lathe, and both he and I learned the trade standing in front of it. It's earned my respect so someday I'll be going through the repentance process for all the times it should have been oiled but wasn't.

Sounds like your 10L and our 44' 10L are about in the same boat. Fair amount of bed wear, but still in regular reliable service being one of the most used manual machines in our shop. IMO, it's not a question of "is it worth a full refurbishment," but just a question of timing and allocation of funds. IMO a full refit may not directly solve any issues, but it will make the machine more efficient and more enjoyable to use. Instead of taking several cuts sneaking up on a size, you'd be able to do the same cut in one or two passes. It's a commitment though to get it done and get it done right if that's the road you take.

Someday, mine's going to get the whole 9 yards, but I've got too many projects in the fire and that lathe is too useful right now. It's been several years, but I think the last quote I got to send out my bed for grinding was somewhere around $1250, not counting my own time inspecting, scraping, adding Rulon, and doing all the other paint and repair tasks while it's apart. For me though, the lathe has paid for itself several times over, so as long as the time/money cost of a rebuild is less than buying a comparable new lathe (IMO that rules out much of the new manual lathe market, but I'm biased), then it's worth it. Bonus points too as my dad loved this lathe, and both he and I learned the trade standing in front of it. It's earned my respect so someday I'll be going through the repentance process for all the times it should have been oiled but wasn't.
I agree - I have a few projects lined up - so the down time is an issue to a small extent. I don't make my living with it - so it's really an interruption in my hobby/passion.
I did get the Ilion manual and felts - the machine is definitely in need of having the oil passages/felt/wicks & cups un-gunked. Converting to a rubber-nylon belt as the leather one is about ready for last rights. I was able to get repro data plates (mine wqere either gone or so worn/painted that they were unreadable) - so I wanted to strip the layers of paint off the covers that have the data plates - nasty / dirty job.

Mine is a 3-1/2' bed - where did you get a quote to have your bed reground?

Back