What's new
What's new

SB 10L (1945) Mystery Squeak...Thoughts?

opsoff1

Aluminum
Looking for thoughts or a start point to identify and eliminate an odd squeak I have in my 10L Tool Room (8187ZN) lathe.
I bought this back in 1995 and have used it steadily over the entire time. Now that I am a bit older and looking at retirement - I have more time on my hands.
I decided to go through the entire machine and clean/adjust/paint etc. Not a restoration, but a semi-refurbishment.
The squeak has always bugged me - but I got used to it.
Now I want it gone.
It is definitely coming from the head stock - up above and as best I can tell near the chuck. It is timed to the rpm. Almost like a chirp.
I thought that maybe it was the metal clips on the leather belt - ruled that out.
My next guess would be maybe the bearing near the chuck - but I would think it would be constant if it was a bearing.
I did find that i could eliminate it by reducing the belt tension from underneath - but I can then stop the chuck with my hand. No beuno
I am hesitant to take it apart without know what's what.
So...I'm stumped -
Any pointers from the experts?

TIA

Scott

The belt might be chirping. Usually caused by some sorta chemical or oil or cleaner on it. Sprinkle some talcum powder/baby powder/monkey butt powder on it while it is running.
BTW_ no "expert"... :D

Check the alignment of the flat belt. If it is a little off-center and the edge of it rubs against an adjacent shoulder it will "chirp" every time it goes around. Mine does that and I ignore it because to change the alignment I have to move the under cabinet counter shaft assembly which is not easy.

Thank you for suggestions! I will try these tonight.
I am planning to install a synthetic/nylon glued belt - assuming these don't have the same issues?

Lift the belt cover and run it. My belt was rubbing on the lube chart under there. Lube chart lives in the cabinet these days.

Issue solved - Dobermann nailed it.
I carefully used a round rod and put a slight pressure on the right edge of the belt to get it to ride away from the shoulder while running. Chirp disappeared!!
I looked at the alignment of the belt splice - uses the metal clips and a synthetic rod inside. The ends of the belt seemed to be of different widths - so I flipped the belt 180 deg - readjusted the tension and viola' chirp gone!
Thanks for all the pointers and ideas - really appreciate it.

Another question...
1945 10L w/ bronze bearings.
I popped off the bearing caps to have a look-see and found the chuck side bearing had the expander installed incorrectly (on top of the bearing) I got everything back together correctly but my google feng shui is bad today - I can't find adjustment procedures for this - 10K & 9 all over the place.
Suggestion / link?

TIA

Another question...
1945 10L w/ bronze bearings.
I popped off the bearing caps to have a look-see and found the chuck side bearing had the expander installed incorrectly (on top of the bearing) I got everything back together correctly but my google feng shui is bad today - I can't find adjustment procedures for this - 10K & 9 all over the place.
Suggestion / link?

TIA
Look at this thread.

As for your bearings, I don't believe that in 1945 SB had gone back to bronze bearings. The war required all the copper, so all head bearings were of the segmented cast iron variety. I'm assuming that your lathe had a "head transplant" sometime in its life.

Any way to tell if the head stock is original?
(My machine in question is a 8187ZN 10LX Tool Room Model.)

Last edited:
I looked and found the unit code - stamped exactly where you indicated: "UH105"

Back