What's new
What's new

SB 11 X 5' Lathe

Alstep

Plastic
Recently acquired a SB 11 X 5' lathe, Cat # 84-B, SN #33416. Need a tailstock spindle and thread dial for it. Anybody have one they'll part with, or have a clew where I can get one?

This lathe is painted red and appears to be the original color. Would that be correct?

Any info anyone can provide about this machine would be appreciated.

That serial would be really early 1927 build date. At that time, enamel paints were not in widespread use, and nearly everything SB made would have been japanned black finish.

Thread dials can come from basically any lathe with a similar sized leadscrew- 24 tooth gear if you have a 6 TPI leadscrew, 32 tooth for 8 TPI. There is little load on the dial, so you don't need a perfect mesh.

Tailstock quill is going to be harder to find. You might take some measurements of what you have, and see if something from another, more common lathe can be used.

Thank you kitno455.

I also have a 9 X 3' Cat 722Y SN #38181A that is painted red. It has the number "28" inside of the bed casting. Probably made in 1928?

The 9" lathe has a 3/4 X 8 lead screw. The 11" is 7/8 X 8. So I guess the 9" dial would be adaptable.

The tailstock quills are different too. Might just make one myself if I can't find one.

The 9" is a no frills machine like the "C" model. The 11" has the quick change gearbox.

Back