What's new
What's new

SB 9/10 Cross Slide or Compound Handle Needed

Rick Kruger

Aluminum
Greetings,

I am looking for a cross slide handle for a SB9" lathe, or something very similar that would fit and work. Lathe is a 1923 era SB9 with quick change gear box, with the single lever, dog clutch box. I do not have reference material to look up a part number.

The lathe belongs to a friend, but I helped him buy it and I assisted on an earlier repair of the carriage feed gearing. I just completed repairing the cross slide screw, which broke. In the doing, I converted it to large dial (100 grad.) using a large dial assembly I had taking up space on my shelves from long ago when I had a SB9A in much need of repair. I installed two sets of thrust bearings and a deep groove ball bearing. No backlash in this assembly. The handle that has gone missing is shown.
Yaz SB9 Large Dial Bearings 12-09-19 on Vimeo
Cross Slide Screw Repairs Complete 121-10-19 on Vimeo

So, my friend and I live 2000 miles apart. He shipped his saddle and CS with all the parts to me, sans the CS nut. I did the repairs and just shipped it all back to him, using his packing materials. Priority Mail. He received it today. The box had come open during shipment and the handle is now missing. He is going to try the compound handle to see if that is an interim fix. Even so, that handle will have to be replaced.

My guess is a handle from a different model of SB lathe, even larger or smaller, may work. Through hole is 1/4" ID with a 1/8" keyway with a round key/pin. I'll work out any key/pin issues.

Thanks,

Rick

Last edited:
have you looked on e bay?

Doooh! What a dolt I am. I had not. There are five list currently. Four appear to be newer style with a recess on the front face, I think for hiding the nut a bit and which also requires a spanner for tightening. I have such a spanner, that I made, from when I had a couple SB9A, one requiring quite a bit of restoration work, and for which I was getting parts from eBay.

Thanks for that wake up call. I've passed on the eBay links to my friend and told him to get one. Preferably the "vintage" one without the recess that matches the one that was lost.

Rick

Somewhere on here are photos and narration of when I made one for my 9A. I made mine the size of one off a heavy 10, which is a little larger. The larger size gives better control.

Found several on eBay. My friend has purchased one. Might take some additional work in the form of shimming. The only ones available look to be from newer lathes and have a recess for the "round" nut. My friend's was not recessed but I feel confident that we can make it work.

Thanks,

Rick

Back