What's new
What's new

Scans, Manuals, Books, Links, Images

Collector's Items: Books on Machine Tools

Hello, forum. After researching the site, it is my understanding that this forum has no official list containing the names of antique collector's books for machinists. In true machinist fashion I've decided to produce the list myself, if the moderator permits. Please feel free to list your antique book in this thread, and I will list it here in this top post so that others who search for it will be able to quickly find this information via the web, and more specifically, via PM.com. Please list any series of books, antique, vintage or classic, including any that had no successor. Preferably list a respected title to be valued by collectors. Thank you.
P.S. Revision suggestions are appreciated; as are discussions about what is considered rare, vintage or classic, and the value of the books to a collector. Please share photos of your collectors literature here (when replying, do not post a previously posted image).

List:
1. Oberg, Erik and Franklin D. Jones. Machinery's Handbook. New York: The Industrial Press, 1914. Print.
2. Oberg, Erik and Franklin D. Jones. Machinery's Encyclopedia Volumes 1-7. New York: The Industrial Press, 1917. Print.
3. Colvin, Fred H. and Frank A. Stanley. American Machinists' Handbook and dictionary of shop terms: a reference book of machine shop and drawing room data, methods, and definitions 1st Edition. New York and London: McGraw-Hill, 1908. Print.
4. Colvin, Fred H. and Frank A. Stanley. American Machinists' Handbook and dictionary of shop terms: a reference book of machine shop and drawing room data, methods, and definitions 2nd Edition. New York and London: McGraw-Hill, 1914. Print.
5. Colvin, Fred H. and Frank A. Stanley. American Machinists' Handbook and dictionary of shop terms: a reference book of machine shop and drawing room data, methods, and definitions 3rd Edition. New York and London: McGraw-Hill, 1920. Print.
6. Colvin, Fred H. and Frank A. Stanley. American Machinists' Handbook and dictionary of shop terms: a reference book of machine shop and drawing room data, methods, and definitions 4th Edition. New York and London: McGraw-Hill, 1926. Print.
7. Colvin, Fred H. and Frank A. Stanley. American Machinists' Handbook and dictionary of shop terms: a reference book of machine shop and drawing room data, methods, and definitions 5th Edition. New York and London: McGraw-Hill, 1932. Print.
8. Colvin, Fred H. and Frank A. Stanley. American Machinists' Handbook and dictionary of shop terms: a reference book of machine shop and drawing room data, methods, and definitions 6th Edition. New York and London: McGraw-Hill, 1935. Print.
9.Colvin, Fred H. and Frank A. Stanley. American Machinists' Handbook and dictionary of shop terms 7th Edition. New York and London: McGraw-Hill, 1940. Print.
10. Colvin, Fred H. and Frank A. Stanley. American Machinists' Handbook and dictionary of shop terms: a reference book of machine shop and drawing room data, methods, and definitions 8th Edition. New York and London: McGraw-Hill, 1945. Print.
11.Colvin, Fred H. and Frank A. Stanley. The new American machinist's handbook. Based upon earlier editions of American machinists' handbook 1st Edition. New York and London: McGraw-Hill, 1955. Print.

Metalworking by Paul Hasluck, while not specifically a machinists book it's a wonderful reference even today and offers much insight in to the ways of old, I highly recomend to anyone that works with metal that they seek a copy, reprints availible or from Lindsay publishing, it can also be found in digital form, though it seems google's copy is broken.

This is a good topic, moderators please sticky.

Advanced Machine Shop by Smith at MIT, the only book you need.

Well, a very good book. Exists in three different revisions with the last (1915) Smith's best (Smith died in 1916 and the book was published by Boston Industrial Press for many years after his passing.)

I have always been fond of Joshua Rose's Modern Machine Shop Practice. Published originally in 1879 by C. Scribner Sons, it was updated/revised at least three times until 1916. Usually found as two volumes, Rose also sent out folios as a sort of measured "self study course" which he sold to a lesser extent than the book. The books can be bought as cheaply as $20 in poor cover condition (the contents usually survive pretty well) but a fully covered/leather bound good condition example in two volumes can set you back up to $400.

Another one the historical me appreciates is the 1880 Census Report on "Power and Manufactures". Your government at work with "mission creep" going at full speed ahead. It's not a "how to do it book" but a delightful description of the machinery and methods with EXCELLENT woodcuts of post Civil War Machinery. Usually seen today in the original volumes in dusty 19th century Carnegie Libraries, it was reprinted in the 1980s by Lindsay Publications both as a full volume and as a soft cover abbreviated "machine tools" version.

Actually, I think we already have as a sticky thread a list of ONLINE sources for many or most of these books. But not to say that a written list should not be here for those looking to update their personal library.

Joe in NH

Way too many, but here is a start

Principles of Iron Founding Richard Moldenke, E.M., Ph. D. McGraw-Hill 1917
The Principles, Operation And Products of the Blast Furnace J. E. Johnson, Jr. McGraw-Hill 1918
Blast Furnace Construction In America J.E. Johnson, Jr. McGraw-Hill 1917
The Blast Furnace And The Manufacture Of Pig Iron Robert Forsythe 1913 (a reprint)
Principles of Blast Furnace Iron Making Anil K. Biswas Cootha Publishing House 1981
The Cupola Furnace Edward Kirk Henry Carey Baird & Co 1910 (a reprint)
Cupola Handbook American Foundrymen's Society 1975
A Practical Treatise on Foundry Irons Edward Kirk Henry Carey Baird & Co 1911
Cast Iron - A Record Of Original Research William J. Keep John Wiley & Sons 1913
Refractories and Furnaces F. T. Havard McGraw-Hill 1912
The Metallurgy of Iron and Steel Bradley Stoughton McGraw-Hill 1934
The Metallurgy of Iron and Steel Bradley Stoughton McGraw-Hill 1913
Practical Shop Work - Three Volumes Carl S. Dow Stanley Institute 1913
Modern Machine Shop Practice Three Volumes Joshua Rose Charles Scribner's Sons 1901
Production Milling Edward K. Hammond The Industrial Press 1921
Metal Processing Orlan William Boston John Wiley & Sons 1941
A Treatise On Milling And Milling Machines Cincinnati Milling Machine Company 1951
Practical Treatise on Milling and Milling Machines Brown & Sharpe Mfg. Co. 1953
Handbook for Machine Designers and Draftsmen Frederick A. Halsey 1913
The Grinding Wheel Kenneth B. Lewis The Rumford Press 1951
The American Machinist Grinding Book Fred H.Colvin Frank A. Stanley McGraw-Hill 1908
Accurate Tool Work C.L. Goodrich F. A. Stanley McGraw-Hill 1912
Steel and Its Heat Treatment D. K. Bullens John Wiley & Sons 1938
Tool Steel Simplified Frank R. Palmer The Carpenter Steel Company 1937
Machine Tool Reconditioning and Applications of Hand Scraping Edward F. Connelly Machine Tool Pubs 1955
Foundations Of Mechanical Accuracy Wayne R. Moore The Moore Special Tool Company 1970

Last edited:
I liked the "online" reference we did before because it gave us access to books which otherwise we likely would never see. The Census 1880 book might be one of these except for Lindsay Publications who had the foresight to see something of interest, and market a book according to that thought and readership.

But there are a lot of technical books which CAN'T be gotten anywhere but online.

One of my faves is Uhland's "Corliss Engines and Allied Steam Motors" available at https://archive.org/stream/corlissenginesa00uhlagoog#page/n8/mode/2up among other places.

Described in this book is the step by step developmental progression of the Corliss steam engine since it's invention until about 1876, and information that I have not seen anywhere else.

The book is available in it's entirety online. Net publishers (those entreprenaural companies who publish books based on "in the public domain online scan" - and otherwise making money on somebody else's hard work) have not seen fit yet to publish the entire book, or even give it a good effort. The original book was one of the "oversize" books usually meriting a special reference shelf, and the reprints are the standard 8.5 x 11 sheets commonly used for this work. The original also contains specially prepared and printed on better paper fold-out "plates" which the online source created re-prints don't usually include.

But this a book that if it were available to be bought original could probably not be had for less than $400, and I have NEVER seen one come for sale on the Internet.

I do think we should make our lists though. It is amazing how much information of the past age has been lost, simply because of non-use.

And Santayana said it exactly right.

"Those who forget the past are doomed by fate to repeat their mistakes."

Joe in NH

My wife is in the midst of getting a masters in information and library sciences, and she was just recommending this web site to me: https://www.librarything.com/
I realize that pulls the list off of PM itself, but that site has great tools for making and searching "personal" libraries, and y'all can share your lists with each other.
Basically if you put in an ISBN it tries to find all the existing details on the book for you.
A whole lot less typing thats for sure.
Just in case some of you find it useful I started a PM group there: https://www.librarything.com/groups/practicalmachinist
Now I just have to enter my (few) books.

Machine tool operation by burghardt vol1 &2....plentiful supply in editions from middle 20's to 1941......$5-10
more suited to home shop than many later texts which are geared to industry .......much basic info including forging & belt lacing...
advanced machine work by smith covers near all operations one wud contemplate in lesson form ,by steps ....1,2,3,...still have my daddys 1926 MIT copy ,well taped up

. Burghardt was head of machiine tool vo-ed for New jersey high schools

best wishes
doc

Here are a few additions to the above lists.

Colvin, Fred H., and Stanley, Frank A., Machine Shop Primer, McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York, First edition 1910
Colvin, Fred H., and Stanley, Frank A., Turning and Boring Practice, McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York, First edition 1936
Colvin, Fred H., and Stanley, Frank A., Gear Cutting Practice, McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York, First edition 1937
Colvin, Fred H., and Stanley, Frank A., Drilling and Surfacing Practice, McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York, First edition 1936
Colvin, Fred H., and Stanley, Frank A., Grinding Practice, McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York, First edition 1937
Colvin, Fred H., and Stanley, Frank A., Machine Tools and Their Operation, Volumes 1 and 2, McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York, First edition 1922
Colvin, Fred H., and Juthe, K. A. The Working of Steel, McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York, Second Edition, 1922
Colvin, Fred H., and Haas, Lucian L., Jigs and Fixtures, McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York, First edition, 1913
Goodrich, C. L., and Stanley, Frank A., Automatic Screw Machines and Their Tools, McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York, First Edition, 1909
Goodrich, C. L., and Stanley, Frank A., Tool and Gage Work, McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York, Second Edition, 1923
Leonard, W. S., Machine Shop Tools and Methods, John Wiley and Sons, Seventh Edition, 1919
Jones, Franklin D., Turning and Boring,The Industrial Press, First Edition, 1914
Halsey, Frederick A. Methods of Machine Shop Work, McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York, First Edition, 1914
Colvin, Fred H., in collaboration with Duffin, D.J.,60 Years with Men and Machines, an autobiography, Whittlesey House, McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York
Burghhardt, Henry D., Machine Tool Operation Part 1 Lathe-Bench-Forge, McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York, 1941
Burghhardt, Henry D., Machine Tool Operation Part 21 Drilling-Planing-Milling-grinding, McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York, 1937

The Colvin/Stanley/McGraw-Hill books mentioned above are otherwise known as the "Machine Shop Library" and were big sellers back in the day.

books

The books are red with gilt lettering like below...

mofjOYcZEUkB9Of-7rg1sew.jpg

I think I have the complete set. Bought for like $3 at a yard sale for ALL the books - back in my day.

Joe in NH

Back