What's new
What's new

SCHAFFNER Milling machine

TNB

Stainless
Schaffner milling machine.

The machine was built in Switzerland in 1958, and as most swiss made products, is very well built. The condition is very good (The machine wears its genuine paint, no marks on the table).
The table measurements are 700 x 200mm (27,5 x 7,8 inches), with the following travels x : 400mm(15,75 inches), y : 150mm (5,90 inches), z : 250mm (9,85 inches).
The sliding ram supporting the vertical head gives the machine even more y capability since you can set it to have the best crosslide position possible when working on different sizes of parts.
Inclinable vertical head and horizontal spindle. An interesting feature is that you can use the horizontal spindle without removing the vertical head (Even DECKELS don't have the same).
most of the times, you even won't have to push the ram backward. therefore, you don't need to re-set up the vertical head each time you want to use the horizontal spindle.
The spindle noses are SA 40 (ISO 40), This is rather unusual for a machine of this size, on wich you would be more likely to find MT3 or SA/ISO30 tooling, but it is very convenient since ISO 40 tooling is extremely common (thus easy to find and affordable) in Europe.
The spindle speeds are infinitely variable from 40 to 2200 rpm (expanding & contracting pulleys drive). This driving system makes it a VERY silent and quiet machine (A point that sould'nt be neglected by the home-shop machinist...)
The x axis offers infinitely variable power feeds from 40 to 126 mm/min, with adjustable (and precise) stops.
The main motor is 3Ph 2,5HP, and there's a built-in cooling system.

This forum seems to be very america-oriented, but if there's someone interested around, this machine is currently for sale, and the asked price is 1800 Euros.
I may sell some equipment with the machine, including a precision milling vice (pretty pricey item), end-mill holder and collets, drilling chuck, and a Kaiser boring-facing head (very pricey item).
The complete package would sell for 2300 Euros.

The machine
NGUYEN%20Schaffner%20mill.JPG

The two ISO 40 spindles
NGUYEN%20Schaffner%2040%20spindles.JPG

I said good condition...
NGUYEN%20Schaffner%20table.JPG

The speed dials
NGUYEN%20Schaffner%20speed%20dial.JPG

You want some Sean ?
NGUYEN%20Spindle%20tooling.JPG

All in all, the machine is may be not as universal as a DECKEL would'be, but is very user-friendly and WAY cheaper (Not to mention that most of us don't need a tilting and swivelling table everyday...).

If it sounds interesting to you, E-mail me.

Ahah, so there is someone else on Earth who has heard of Schaffner ! Believe it or not, there is a modern 1970 Schaffner mill of Deckel style for sale near here. A beautiful looking machine, with no. 40 spindle, and some automated functions. The down side is that rather than a gear box, like a Deckel, Maho, etc., it has a Reeves variable speed drive...and I was quite dismayed at just how loud it was when running. This is of course just the opposite of what I expected, as usually gear drives are noisier than belt types.

UD66576.jpg

This is not a very good photo of it, as it looks much more impressive in real life for some reason.

[This message has been edited by D. Thomas (edited 09-12-2002).]

i Sean

You'll have your spindle tooling pics soon. But tell me : you'll probably laugh at me when I'll ask you if you know the "Travers Tool Co"...(1-800-221-0270 or www.travers.com)
I have their 2002 catalogue, and I saw they offer ISO40 spindle tooling at reasonnable prices (about 50 US$ for a 40 shell end mill holder sounds pretty correct to me for brand new stuff).
So I still can't figure out the way you hope making money importing some ... Not to mention that most of the tooling ya'll find here is METRIC! (By the way, what sort of difference do you make between ISO & NMTB 40 tapers ? We don't know NMTB here.)
I probably miss something.

My advice to an american DECKEL bros, would be this one :
If DECKEL spindle tooling is soooooo sought after in the US, then take advantage of it : sell it and go for a full set of standard ISO40 tollholders. You even may get some extra cash in the operation.

According to me, the DECKEL spindle tooling arrangement is superior ONLY on one precise point :
When it comes to use collets, it allows you to use the DECKEL collets in a special adaptor that fit very close to the spindle nose. It slightly increases rigidity, and height capacity by 1/2 inch...
But who cares if it forces you to spend all your precious time looking for tooling that will cost you an arm and leg ???
(I admit this is a personnal point of view, and may be I miss something again).

Bye !

Wow Don !

How much for that cast-iron-beautie ?
If it wasnt' so far away, I would probably consider buying it. I'm really surprised about the noise you're talkin' about, since my SCHAFFNER runs really silently whatever speed you select.
And it's a expanding and contracting pulleys system (what do you call a "Reeves belt drive system" by the way ?)... Could you send us more infos about this model (name, tech datas, travels, feeds and so on...)
Talking about SCHAFFNER, it is true that these are not very common machines. I think they're very well built though, and It is sometimes very plesant to lay one's eyes on something else than FP-1 or 2's : exotic, but still european ! What could you ask more ?!?!

Back