What's new
What's new

Schaublin 120 VM Rebuild - Details Needed

Steve C

Plastic
G'day all

I've been lurking for a while but this is my first post. It's a great forum.

I've been lucky enough to inherit a Schaublin 120 VM. It's had a bit of a hard life - it fell on its face about 15 years ago and since that time it has been sitting around in pieces. I'm gradually getting everything together, and in the process stripping it all back to bare metal & repainting. Slow task but lots of fun.

There's some obvious damage resulting from the fall - the carriage speed control on the top LH side is busted off, and there are a couple of marks on the castings. The drop also looks to have sheared off the bolts attaching the lathe to the base. From the measurements I've done so far, the lathe isn't bent like a bannana, but I may not be out of the woods there yet.

It's likely that the cross slide got whacked when the lathe fell. The evidence for this is that the cross slide handwheel, plus some of the bits attached to this are missing. However, I'm encouraged by the fact that the casting immediately behind the cross slide handwheel appears straight & undamaged. I'm lucky enough to have some of the Schaublin assembly drawings for the saddle and apron, so I've got almost enough information to reverse engineer these bits. However, I would love a couple of close-up photos of the cross slide handwheel assembly, particularly showing how the graduations are marked around the perimeter of the handwheel. The parts of interest are indicated in the Schaublin assembly drawing below:

S120_Crossslide_edit.jpg

Is the handwheel assembly plated, or bare steel?

I'd also like to know what the original colour scheme was for the electrical panel on the front R/H corner of the base. Were any of the details hilighted in a paint colour different to the colour of the rest of the lathe?

ElectricalPanel.jpg

Finally, I'm interested in whether the "Schaublin 120-VM" lettering on the hinging panel on the L/H side of the lathe was originally hilighted, and if so in what colour:

CoverPanel.jpg

Hopefully there's some 120 VM owners out there that can help. Thanks in advance, hope to have some piccies of the completed lathe on the forum in the next month or two.

Steve

Steve,

there is a copy of a manual available for download on my website
http://users.telenet.be/marc.nijssen/

I don't have a 120VM but going from the drawing it is a very simular setup from the 102 VM.

On the 102VM the graduated wheel is steel chrome plated, this rides on the bare steel handwheel.

If you can't find photo's of the 120VM I'll be happy to take some pictures of the 102VM.

Marc

Alan - Greetings from the other side of the country. I'm a member of the yahoo Schaublin group, snd it's useful, but being able to post images in the text in this forum is pretty useful, so thought I'd try this one first.

Marc - Thanks for the offer of a manual. I already have one, and I suspect it may be yours. It's been very useful, especially the section up the back with nominal dimensions for many of the important components. Thanks also for the offer of photos. I'll wait to see if I can get some for the 120, if not I may have to impose on you to take some photos of the 102. I'm mainly after the style of the graduations on the vernier wheel - I know what the nominal dimensions are. For your info, there is a lot of commonality between the 102 and 120 in this area - from the Schaublin assembly drawings, probably 1/3 of the parts have 102 part numbers, not 120 part numbers. However, the vernier and handwheel have 120 part numbers.

Once I get myself organized I'll have the Schaublin assembly drawings scanned, upload to a web page & post a link on the forum so others can use.

Steve

Steve,

there is a copy of a manual available for download on my website
http://users.telenet.be/marc.nijssen/

I don't have a 120VM but going from the drawing it is a very simular setup from the 102 VM.

On the 102VM the graduated wheel is steel chrome plated, this rides on the bare steel handwheel.

If you can't find photo's of the 120VM I'll be happy to take some pictures of the 102VM.

Marc
Marc,

I did send you a pm.

Charles

Thanks, did the download, but that is the 102 VM. I was looking for a 120 VM manual and Marc's link (which should now include a 120 VM Manual as well) does not work unfortunately.

Finally I have got the Schaublin 120vm manual in german.
If You still need it just drop me a private message with Your email address

Beppi,

Thanks for the offer. I will be looking at one coming Tuesday and I think it will include the manual. If not, I will thankfully accept your offer,

Charles

Hi Beppi again,

yes, today I bought the 120vm and I have now the (I think) original german manual, the "Betriebsanleitung", 29 pages. If you have other or more info I would be interested. I sent you this message also with my email address.

Charles

120vm

Hi All
I have a 120 vm and love it if you need any pictures or details just let me know and i will try to help. My machine has the taper attachment on also it real good made in 1958 but still going strong a pleasure to use.

Brian:D

Mine is older (1948) and is #62! So it is the old design, which has bronze bearings iso ball bearings, amongst other differences I noted by comparing my manual with the newer one I got from Beppi. And although between the centers is about 100mm shorter than the newer version, this is not due to the overall length but the head is longer than the new version (due to the bronze bearings I think). But I love it! It runs smoothly and accurate and has little wear.

I was trying to change the oil at the various places, but failed to find a drain exit for the bearings and gearing in the headstock. Also the original manual does not clarify this. So if somebody knows how these can be drained, let me know. (I know that the new version has drain exits mentioned in the manual, but it is one of the points that are different.)

Charles

120vm

Hi Charles
The only problem with my machine is the taper turning attachment clamping bracket is missing i will fabricate one eventually but a picture of what is needed would be nice to work from im not in a hurry tho because im working on my deckel miller at the moment.

Back