What's new
What's new

Schaublin 135 cross slide issue?

mebilloz1

Plastic
Hi All
I have been offered a 135 which has been unused for a number of years, but was only used by tool makers without time pressures (so looked after). One thing that has thrown me, is the cross slide. If I wind the handwheel, there is a knurled pin that rotates (right and down from the wheel). That pin can be pulled out and seems to engage a second gear (spins at different speed), but the cross slide goes nowhere.
Cranked and cranked and the cross slide started to move, but it has 15 turns of the wheel to swap from inbound to outbound tool movement??
I can grab the tool post and try to push it in and out but the slide wont move (so the nut is holding as it should).
What am I missing ???
Thanks
Bill

I believe this item is the carriage stop function, not used mine but did read this the other day in the manual, if you want a copy one is attached and should throw light on this.

Are you talking about this, right in picture?

IMG_3888x.jpg

If you want a copy of a manual let me have your email.

Oh if your buying a 135 please check the Variator above the motor, if oil is present over the belts and area you will need to do some surgery to either replace seals or modify the system, its a poor design on these machines (early models), the ones that have oil feeds to this part and will require time to fix, it's detailed in my thread mentioned by Thermite - Project Schaublin 135.

Unused for a number of years, A little corrosion behind gibs, and just old hard oil/grease things can be stuck hard. Caution cranking too hard on anything. Be sure everything is free and all spec lub is where it needs to be.
Yesterday I unfroze a grinder fixture (a Rockwell Univise base), it was stuck like it was welded together
A nice machine.

Last edited:
IMO its not likely to be gunk if the slide moves and then hits a 'stop' type feeling, the black knob which you say turns in either direction when moving the slide has three positions, fully out will cause the slide to stop at a given set place, fully in will also do the same, to check free movement you need to get the knob in the middle of the two positions, it should then freely move all the way in and out.

You can see from the picture I posted my machine was in a nasty mess when I bought it, slide still moved freely and the gibs were good as were the sliding surfaces so hopefully this helps and solves you issue.

Back