What's new
What's new

SCM440 case harden

APW

Plastic
Hello everyone,
I have a customer who asked to machine some emergency 5C collets for them and case harden to 40-50rc. I bought the collets from Lyndex and they told me the steel is SCM440 however my heat treat company isnt familiar with that material. Have you guys heat treated SCM440 or heat treated 5C collets, if so what process did you use?

Thank you for you help.

For the hardness specified case-hardening should not be necessary. It is at the upper end of the hardness range for simple heat-treating of 4140. Case-hardening is possible for higher hardness requirements but not recommended as it can result in a brittle product. Distortion is likely in either case.

I offer one suggestion here. Do not cut the collet fingers all the way thru. Of course, may not have this option if you bought these already split. Leaving them partially split will allow you to nitride the collets without the collet fingers going all over the place. Another suggestion is to have them ION nitrided. Almost no distortion using this process. Also QPQ would be the choice of any surface treating for hardness. Again, very little distortion using this process. There are sources for any of these processes here in Texas. The only real problem is cost. Most have a minimum charge. Ken

yes, it will ion plasma nitride up to 650 hv and a 0.6 mm case. its done around 1000°f and gets you good surface finish.

Ion nitriding may be the thing if you are looking for wear properties only. Ask your heat treater what they think. It's kinda expensive. Any other heat treat will likely not be good.

Have you tested the purchased collet hardness? I agree they ought to be above 40 already.

Hello everyone,
I have a customer who asked to machine some emergency 5C collets for them and case harden to 40-50rc. I bought the collets from Lyndex and they told me the steel is SCM440 however my heat treat company isnt familiar with that material. Have you guys heat treated SCM440 or heat treated 5C collets, if so what process did you use?

Thank you for you help.

When you asked Lyndex about the material, why didn't you ask them how to heat treat ?...:skep:

If the 4140-42 (.40-.45C) is tempered @ 800°F after the quench you get a 45Rc (430BHN) part, about 210Kpsi tensile & 190ish yield for strength.

I’d suspect the emergency blanks aren't that hard… If it were for low use I’d prolly see if the heat treater had an induction HT tool that would fit in the bore after machining. I can’t remember seeing any that could work in a 1/2” hole though.

Agree that nitriding gets the hard skin but it’s cashy.

Good luck,
Matt

you just have to find somebody who puts it into the "oven" with something else. the process will not be optimized, but it doesnt have to be in this case.

(the last little part i did cost me nothing.)

Back