What's new
What's new

Scrap VS Material prices, what are you getting/giving?

The yard I normally deal with is local ,and amazingly enough is run by normal people ,a family who bought the business some few years ago......the mother wasnt impressed by my tales of the 80s recession ,when scrap prices were negative,the big yards wouldnt even unload you ,you had to have a tipper........A good period for me ,because the railways sold off many tons of surplus machines ,and I got lots of good stuff for prices like $2.12,$11.21...etc on tenders.Scrappies didnt even bid....One tender ,I got everything , one machine (Wadkin 5 head planer) with all the dust collection for $100....sold next day for $6000 ,even with the recession....big excavator with blown motor for $100.....Happy days.

Starting to work on a mini hook bin body design....diversification....those trucks get used for landscaping, garbage, contractors etc. hopefully not too little too late

Between Bucks Fabricating's "Switch n go" for smaller trucks up to midsized ones, and the gooseneck trailer crowd (a couple of different manuf's are making these)
I don't think anyone has standardized on the dumpster rail spacing etc.

Is there one yet ?

Unfortunately not. They're similar, but if it doesn't fit, 3/4" might as well be 2'. if we make a bin on spec, the inside spacing of rails is 36" which works 95% of the time. When a customer wants a bin, we measure the truck. If we're making a truck, its to suit 36 unless the customer wants something else

The common lift bins here are called "Merrel" bins,and are a standardised size,an the bins take 10 tons......Hook lifts are a lot bigger ,40 ft long and take 20 tons......Local crowd a while back had new Kenworths and lifters ,driver told me close to $1/2 million in each truck ....they also have a hook bin semi ,all new .......I personally doubt scrap would pay for a $2 million fleet of trucks with binlifters,and that doesnt include the bins.......In my day we had all old stuff,worked just as good ,and when trucks broke down ,just stick em in the salvage parts yards....scrap was all cash in hand just 20 short years ago.....Not now.

The common lift bins here are called "Merrel" bins,and are a standardised size,an the bins take 10 tons......Hook lifts are a lot bigger ,40 ft long and take 20 tons......Local crowd a while back had new Kenworths and lifters ,driver told me close to $1/2 million in each truck ....they also have a hook bin semi ,all new .......I personally doubt scrap would pay for a $2 million fleet of trucks with binlifters,and that doesnt include the bins.......In my day we had all old stuff,worked just as good ,and when trucks broke down ,just stick em in the salvage parts yards....scrap was all cash in hand just 20 short years ago.....Not now.

We are seeing more of the "Mini" dumpsters, seem to just right for a roof tear off (house) job, see them on a single axle truck as a "happy hooker" style,
or the aforementioned mini roll off with winch.

It's not just you. I don't even bother selling my scrap and throw it right in the dumpster. The prices are so low it costs money to recycle and the local scrapper (who left a bin for the shop) took the bins away. Even the guerilla scrappers who would take it at night don't take the scrap anymore.

Back