What's new
What's new

Scrape in old Bridgeport? Sell it and buy new?

Spencer in NH

Stainless
Next to the two CNC machines, I have a good 'ole Bridgeport 1J 9x42 in the shop which, of course, gets used a bunch*. It is a step pulley, and has the original table drive. It has a Newall DRO on it, which I installed (and like). (It runs off of two small VFDs on an aluminum plate, one for the spindle drive and one for the table drive, which is attached at the "shaper" hole.)

It really needs a good scraping job, as the wear has it tight at the ends of the "Y" travel. I am willing to put an appropriate amount of money into it. I am likely to go ahead and have the head rebuilt at the same time. As I see it, my options are:

1) have it scraped and repaired in house,
2) Send it to a good place for same,
3) Sell it and buy some new iron for similar costs.

I have identified several resources in the area (I am in Windham NH). John at J&L Scraping is only about 1.5 hours away, but I don't have facility to move and transport the machine myself. Rigging would add cost (and I have a rigger I really like).

There are two relatively nearby individuals who will come the the shop and scrape and repair, as long as I don't want paint, etc.

I am very flexible on scheduling, and not having the machine for a week or even two can be managed.

I am seeking your general recommendations as well as pointers to specific people who can help me.

Thanks for your help.

(* note that mine is a prototype shop to support my antenna engineering biz, not a production shop)

Generally speaking, repair and rebuilding are less than half the cost of a new machine, particularly without repainting. When you make your calculations, take into account that, in addition to rescraping, you may want to replace the leadscrews and rebuild the head.

What features would you get from a new machine that you don't have with this one, other than the variable speed head and a different table drive? Are these enough to justify the additional $15,000 or so?

Tom

I'm sure someone will tell you to just sell it and buy a new one from Enco or wherever and the price point would be about the same. But then you have to try and sell it first and lord knows how long that might take never mind the time you are taking out of your day to meet with all the people who just want to come by and look at the thing. I would just bite the bullet and have it scraped in while the head is out for rebuild to minimize your downtime. You have already invested money into the mill and your comfortable with its operation. Furthermore, with a fresh head and newly scraped ways its gonna be better than anything new from China that's for Damn sure.

I have identified several resources in the area (I am in Windham NH). John at J&L Scraping is only about 1.5 hours away, but I don't have facility to move and transport the machine myself. Rigging would add cost (and I have a rigger I really like).

You may already have checked ... but I wonder if John would be willing to come to you, rather than taking the machine to him? Might be worth comparing what he would charge with the other two nearby scrapers you mention.

You may already have checked ... but I wonder if John would be willing to come to you, rather than taking the machine to him? Might be worth comparing what he would charge with the other two nearby scrapers you mention.

I talked to John a while back, and was under the impression that he does not do that.... but, it's worth a phone call. Thanks.

I can vouch for John's work - I have B-port he did.

I can think of a couple other options (you will obviously have to ask him on both of these).

He used to have a truck that was capable of transporting a Bridgeport, he may be willing to come up to you and get it, then return it when it is completed.

He may also be willing to do a swap with one he already has redone, of course you would need to move the DRO in that case and maybe the power feed.

Paul

Having "scraped in" my Wells Index 847, I can attest to how much work it is to do a good job.

I'd be inclined to recommend that you get a local machine repair place to quote on the repair.
Doing it "in house" is an iffy proposition if you don't have all the resources at hand. Getting someone in to "repair" will be cheaper than sending it out to a shop to have it reconditioned, but I don't think that the result will be as good long term.

I'll bet John could give you the straight good on the "real" cost of repair vs rebuild vs replace.

There are some good import machines to be had, but in general the import option is not as good as "North American Iron"

Oh...as you probably know... You Get What You Pay For!

Pete

Other option might be to see if some one would take it as a trade in on a already scraped in - rebuilt one?

Either way yours done or a ''service exchange'' I'd go the rebuild route... pound to a pinch there'll be something different on the new clone that won't fit something you do.

Back