What's new
What's new

Scraping flat

Those little 1" x 1/8" thick squares are $60 each now?

I knew there was a reason to give up on Sandvik. That's bordering on mafia markup.
It is not even an exageration to say that at this price you should buy the tool grinder and carbide stock. How much time can you really save.

Those little 1" x 1/8" thick squares are $60 each now?

I knew there was a reason to give up on Sandvik. That's bordering on mafia markup.
They are so expensive that i would rather buy a dozer, some land in alaska, a refinery, and 10 full time employees to make my blade. Even then i would have some spare money to buy a Mercedes.

An option if you have connections here in Japan. You have to figure out how to buy them and get them shipped to you, I have no idea if they are available domestically stateside.

But the Tungaloy blades are $23-36 each in 4 different widths, are sold individually and are mirror polished and pre-ground. You can likely find cheaper blanks (I have a drawer of them), but in my experience raw carbide blade stock isn't lapped and will take a lot of time to get polished to this degree assuming you have the skills and materials to do so. Half the cutting edge is defined by those faces, and it is the majority of the surface area of the blank, so kind of important.

blades.png

Tungaloy CST-15/20/25/30

These are specifically formulated for scraping and they've worked great for me.

Next trip to Japan I'm going to buy some and bring them back. Can I get them over-the-counter in Tokyo/Kyoto/Osaka? Or is it better to go to the internet/mail-order source that you linked?
I can't think of anywhere physical that would stock them, even here in Tokyo. Monotaro or Misumi-Vona are your best bets. They make holders and brazed hand scraper versions that are lower profile for tricky spots and tapers. You should think about getting a tube of TRUSCO TBP-H oil based scraping pigment as well. It is messier to clean up than the water based Canode, but it doesn't dry out or corrode iron plates if you leave it on, and I find it is just easier to use so far.

I can't think of anywhere physical that would stock them, even here in Tokyo. Monotaro or Misumi-Vona are your best bets. They make holders and brazed hand scraper versions that are lower profile for tricky spots and tapers. You should think about getting a tube of TRUSCO TBP-H oil based scraping pigment as well. It is messier to clean up than the water based Canode, but it doesn't dry out or corrode iron plates if you leave it on, and I find it is just easier to use so far.
Overall I think I would still prefer water-based pigments. The oil-based ones are good, but I prefer not to be a blue man.

I have been teaching techniques on here for years - online - don't let some of the members scare you. Ballen in Germany - we taught him how on here. Look at the top of the Reconditioning forum and see how he scraped his Studer grinder. He has tons of pictures and my teaching. since then he took an in-person class I taught in Austria. Many of the members here have taken a class in person. I will be teaching 2 classes in MN. a 1 week class in Oct a 2 week class in November. 2 Boeing employees are coming to the Basic and advance class. I guarantee you will knowhow to hand and power scrape in 3 days and learn basic rebuilding in days 4 & 5. You can search down the list in the reconditioning forum and see the classes.

I have been teaching techniques on here for years - online - don't let some of the members scare you. Ballen in Germany - we taught him how on here. Look at the top of the Reconditioning forum and see how he scraped his Studer grinder. He has tons of pictures and my teaching. since then he took an in-person class I taught in Austria. Many of the members here have taken a class in person. I will be teaching 2 classes in MN. a 1 week class in Oct a 2 week class in November. 2 Boeing employees are coming to the Basic and advance class. I guarantee you will knowhow to hand and power scrape in 3 days and learn basic rebuilding in days 4 & 5. You can search down the list in the reconditioning forum and see the classes.
Yes it is going well so far, i also finally bought a real scraper. stefan Gotteswinter did essentially the same scraping job before so i am slowly following his process.

Back