What's new
What's new

Screw Machine Equipment

thistle3585

Plastic
We are a small, family owned industrial distributor in Central Indiana. We have been struggling the last few years with the closing of several screw machine companies that supply us. It seems like everyone is going to CNC machines which is driving up the cost. Unfortunately, we do not have any direct machining experience but are thinking of getting a screw machine and start running some of these parts ourselves. I really haven't any idea where to start this search. What kinds of questions I should be asking etc. I have been looking around at several Browne and Sharp 2 G machines. Can anyone make some recommendations to a new guy? I know this isn't much info to go on but just not sure where to start.

Interesting that you think CNC is more expensive.

There can't be a lot of places still running the old cam machines.

If the shops that supply you are closing can you buy some of their equipment and hire a few of their workers to run them?

Rob

More importantly.....how do you think your gonna be better at running a screw machine than the shop that you just
bought, that's struggling ?

There's also the issues of: cam design; cam grinding; tooling setup; machine maint. and repair; etc. More involved than just reading the B&S "blue book".

Maybe Ox will post here and tell you why he's no longer running any of his Brownies.

Good that some can still recognize the speed and low cost of running screw machines for long run or repeat jobs. Same goes for low number of pieces on manual lathes, mills and grinders where the job can be done to finish in less time than making a CNC program with using a good older machine that costs a few hundred or thousand rather than so much that you need to run around the clock to make the payments.

Not mine just an example of seven second job running.
Brown and Sharpe Screw Machine - YouTube

Yes I know running in microns is best served with computers, ball lead screws and stepping motors, every thing for its place.

Hope F Spicker can run your parts, and if you decide to pick up a B&S 2-g there are plenty of retired toolmakers that come part-time to teach you how to make cams and run parts.

We still run screw machines as a job shop. Make 100 to a few thousand parts per run. I have a 2g you can have for scrap price if you throw some business my way. :)

As others have said its probably better to move to CNC instead of working through the learning curve for screw machines. Mostly because of the cam design piece.

I think the cam design is the easy part. I have a contact in Maryland who knew nothing about cam design 2 months ago, he is now doing extremely well with the occasional question and answer over the web. Tooling up the machine and maintenance work takes longer, much longer

I don't disagree, and yes, tooling the machine is important but similar to what you would do with a CNC lathe. Time invested (wasted) in cam design versus CAD / CAM was my point. If that can be helped via your contact in MD, great (please PM his info). Also, the tooling is the more "expensive" aspect, but again no different than CNC, it's just that screw machines themselves are very cheap (relatively free?).

I'm slowly making to move to CNC just figuring out how to pull the trigger...

Thanks guys. The companies moving to CNC are doing some pretty high tolerance parts for the aerospace industry and their pricing is going through the roof as much as 3-4 times what they were charging me on their screw machines. No, they wont sell me their machines nor the tooling to make my parts. I would prefer to outsource it, which I started a thread in the RFQ section for that, but there are a couple similar parts where we thought it would be worth having a machine. I don't want to get in to the screw machine business by any means but the way things are going we are running out of options and I'm not too keen on sending it overseas.

We're primarily sourcing a variety of steel and brass fittings including straight connectors, elbows and hose fittings.

Interesting that you think CNC is more expensive.

There can't be a lot of places still running the old cam machines.

"Cam Machines" is likely a bit broader spectrum than you must realize.
CNC has nothing over a cam in terms of long run productivity. (Not just on screw machines either)

There's also the issues of: cam design; cam grinding; tooling setup; machine maint. and repair; etc. More involved than just reading the B&S "blue book".

Maybe Ox will post here and tell you why he's no longer running any of his Brownies.

I got rid of my one Brownie, only in favor of multispindles. NOT because of CNC, although - yes I had some of those at the time as well...
I'd take a clapped out 4 banger Acme over a Brownie any day!

I hope that the screw machine industry is done working for next to nothing like they had for the last decade as those left still standing (after the move to China seemingly overnight in 2001) (and then having to deal with the doubling of the price of both steel (in 6 months) and brass (in 6 weeks) took out a fair % of the remainder in 2004) were fighting over crumbs. Screw Machine sales are on the rise due to full capacity at many shops currently.

3585 - I could look at your prints if you like. "Screw Machining" is a pretty vague area, so we can see what you are looking for. My e-mail and a link to my website can be found hiding under my name above. (click on "Ox" above) Haven't ran a lot of brass in recent years though.

--------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back