What's new
What's new

Seeking a Source for This Lapping Back Plate

#5 ii Alive!

Aluminum
Hello, Everyone. I have a 12-inch Lapmaster that has been a terrific workhorse in my shop. I recently discovered that I can use magnetic backing plates with different PSA grit sandpaper on each one for quick and easy switching between grits. Does anyone have a good source for these? Here's what they look like:
Gu5ddED.jpg

I found a source in Europe, it seems. Great. $7.00 for the disc, and $120.00 for shipping.

I also found a source Stateside, but they want $17 each for the plate. It seems to me there might be other sources in the U.S. with a cheaper price than $17.

You guys always seem to know where the good stuff is, so I thought I'd check here first before springing for the higher price. If you know of site for source this, could you please past the link below?

Thanks in advance for your knowledge and suggestions.

Last edited:
Never seen that. Are they by any chance just the vinyl sign material used for car door type signs? Easy enough to cut circles with a rotary blade circle cutter.
Conrad. Hello, and thank you for your response. If I under what you're saying, I don't think those would work. A lapping machine needs to work on a very hard surface -- typically either cast iron or ceraming (sometimes aluminum) -- for grinding and polishing. My base is cast iron, so it will accept a magnet.

Conrad, they make a lot of these that are magnetized with a designated grit on the other side, but they are expensive and make no sense from a cost perspective. I can change a PSA pad for pennies, whereas these things range from $50-100. I don't know why it's so hard to find these things.

Never seen that. Are they by any chance just the vinyl sign material used for car door type signs? Easy enough to cut circles with a rotary blade circle cutter.
Conrad, after I posted my last post, I thought about what you said, did a little more research, and realized what you described might very well work for my application.

I think 1/8" Acrylic would work as the base, but just to play it safe I've order both 1/8" and 1/4". Will report back when I receive the materials and have a chance to work with them a bit.

Thanks Again,

Back