What's new
What's new

seeking info on bar feeders for old swiss lathes

MachiningRilla

Plastic
hey guys, long time reader first time poster.
So my situation is I currently run an old Brown and Sharpe 00G (i guess it was made around 1965) cam lathe for some really basic parts on in house products. .25"x3.5" needle bearings for the most part, just a chamfer and part off. i cut like 3000 ft of stock a week.
the machine runs fantastic and fast, the only trouble being the old weighted pulley style feeder we have set up to it. every 8 minutes i get a blaring alarm taking me away from what im machining otherwise.
I'd love to replace the thing with something modern, as an easy fix. but the parts are so simple, id feel really dumb trying to sell my boss on a 7 axis swiss with 11 tool slots for this part.
so, anyone ever retro fit an automatic loaded feeder to an old machine like this? is it even possible? appreciate any replies in advanced. i did try to find pre existing info, so if this is a repeated post - my apologies!

I believe that Lipe made auto loading bar feeders for Brownies.

And not all Swiss are 7 axis. You could find a simple, used, small capacity Swiss machine with a loader for not too much money. Just something to consider.

I am sure that it is possible, but IDK if there is turn-key products or not, but like he said, "Lipe" used to be a big name in Brownie loaders. However, I haven't even heard that name in many years, so IDK if they are still around anymore or not.

A PLC and a kick-out air cyl would likely be needed for a roll-your own set-up, but could Shirley be done.

Brownie is the perfect machine for chamfer/cut-off.

Edit:

Wow - not much out there for them right now.
I see that the business had been sold in ought and 5, but parts are available.

The only one that I see available currently is in Jackson at Fourway.
Mark or someone there should be able to explain how to hook it up.

----------------------

I am Ox and I approve this here post!

Last edited:
I am sure that it is possible, but IDK if there is turn-key products or not, but like he said, "Lipe" used to be a big name in Brownie loaders. However, I haven't even heard that name in many years, so IDK if they are still around anymore or not.

A PLC and a kick-out air cyl would likely be needed for a roll-your own set-up, but could Shirley be done.

Brownie is the perfect machine for chamfer/cut-off.

Edit:

Wow - not much out there for them right now.
I see that the business had been sold in ought and 5, but parts are available.

The only one that I see available currently is in Jackson at Fourway.
Mark or someone there should be able to explain how to hook it up.

----------------------

Thank you for this lead, Ox. This whole escapade has shown me how much i've got to learn yet. I think I'll be reaching out to the folks at Fourway. cheers.

Reactions: Ox
I believe that Lipe made auto loading bar feeders for Brownies.

And not all Swiss are 7 axis. You could find a simple, used, small capacity Swiss machine with a loader for not too much money. Just something to consider.
thanks, wmpy. you're the man. would you happen to have a swiss brand in mind? my google searches very quickly have me on machines that are over designed for my situation. tia :)

thanks, wmpy. you're the man. would you happen to have a swiss brand in mind? my google searches very quickly have me on machines that are over designed for my situation. tia :)
Citizen, Star, and Tsugami would be the top 3 brands to look for.

Here's a nice little Citizen as an example. 1/2" capacity, no live tools, bar loader. It's about as basic as you can get in a Swiss. It does have a sub-spindle, so if you wanted the most basic, you'd have to find one without a sub. They do exist.

There are plenty of Lipe feeders out there, Fourway is the guy to talk to about them. I can think of about 10 of them available in the U.S. right now.

I also run a 1" long pin out of 1/4" 1215 steel at 75k per run. Every 8 min I need to load a bar and it sucks ass. Putting this job on a swiss doesnt make sense, but I did talk to Edge bar loaders and they can make a setup for Brownies, but its pretty technical.

My job is never in a rush, takes me a week straight to make 25k and they arent owed for 8 weeks or so. I end up running them as I can here and there and never have deadline issues. So i just deal with it as is, machine is an older "OOB" British built for American market. The machine used to run 5/64 Hex nuts (Brass) with 00-80 threads for a watch company (Seco I think) at 330k per year.

My machine is still going strong at 3.5 seconds cycle time (Both parts above)

I spoke with Mark and Mike from Fourway yesterday, turns out they have loads of LIPE feeders in stock - and set up knowledge to boot! Lucky me.
The speed and quality delivered by the brownie combined with the LIPE feeder will be the move, i think. I thoroughly appreciate all these wonderful tips, guys. Saved me an unknown amount of research time.

Maybe you can post up your set-up when you get it going?

------------------

I'd be happy to do so! I'm really looking forward to cleaning this corner to introduce the new feeder! haha first things first, get the boss to approve.

Reactions: Ox
I'd be happy to do so! I'm really looking forward to cleaning this corner to introduce the new feeder! haha first things first, get the boss to approve.
Once you get yours running and you like it, I will follow suit shortly after.

My isssue with them is the space they take up. I dont have much room and a single tube can be taken down and moved temporarily very easily.

Would make life so much easier though. I am currently setting a Brownie up for 2nd ops, to load a part from the turret then machine it and a spring loaded stop to spit the finished part back out. Once I get it running right, it will be very fast.

Good luck.

Back