What's new
What's new

Seeking knowledge on Southbend Lathe Spindle Bearing/Sleeve Bearing/Expansion Bearing.

RedCrayon

Plastic
Good afternoon,

So I screwed up royally... I have been fixing up an old 10 inch Southbend Lathe for the last couple of months. I have been using the ILION Industrial Services renovating guide. Everything was going fine until I was reinstalling my spindle bearings. I overtightened the expansion screws and cracked the rear bearing and expander. I even managed to shear the bolt in the forward expander. I am looking into having a machine shop make new ones. I know I can't know what the nominal dimensions and tolerances are for these bearings, but I want try to have new ones made using what I have as reference. I will include images of the rear bearing and expander. I can take more if needed. Note the warp and bend in the expander, not just the bearing.

I was hoping to know if anyone had any knowledge I could use in my endeavor... (other than don't overtighten lol).

I was also, considering trying to salvage my damages parts. I can use a helicoil in the front bearing expander (if it happens that the threads are damaged).

INFO: The lathe is a 10"R Model (Heavy 10 I believe). I appreciate any advice! Please ask if I failed to include any necessary information.

Attachments

• IMG_4280.jpg
    IMG_4280.jpg
    889.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4281.jpg
    IMG_4281.jpg
    873.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4282.jpg
    IMG_4282.jpg
    930.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4283.jpg
    IMG_4283.jpg
    980.8 KB · Views: 23

johansen

Stainless
Seems to me you can peen the material back down, on the bearing, file the bearing and expander as needed, and glue or solder a shim to the side of the expander.

Alternatively you can file the bearing back to a good l dovetail, solder a shim to it, then re install after cleaning up the expander.

Or make a new expander long enough to make contact with the bearing in the 4 places it didn't previously.

RedCrayon

Plastic
Seems to me you can peen the material back down, on the bearing, file the bearing and expander as needed, and glue or solder a shim to the side of the expander.

Alternatively you can file the bearing back to a good l dovetail, solder a shim to it, then re install after cleaning up the expander.

Or make a new expander long enough to make contact with the bearing in the 4 places it didn't previously.
I've soldered electronics before. Would the process be similar to that? I'm assuming I would need brass shims. Funny enough I was thinking of that but didn't know if soldering would work. Appreciate the help!

johansen

Stainless
I've soldered electronics before. Would the process be similar to that? I'm assuming I would need brass shims. Funny enough I was thinking of that but didn't know if soldering would work. Appreciate the help!
I assume it's bronze, which should solder just fine.

Solder is plenty strong for the application, and I would use a copper or brass shim. Get both sides wetted before soldering.

RedCrayon

Plastic
Found a bronze solder that I can use for Brass and Bronze. I'll see if I can peen it gently, though it is a little cracked. I'll most likely shave off the excess, wet with solder, solder on shims, and shave again to try to approach the original shape again.