What's new
What's new

Seeking Sinker EDM Trainer

DanyEDM

Plastic
Hello, I'm located in southern California (Ventura County) and looking for an EDM trainer. We brought in a used/older 2002 Makino Edge2A sinker EDM with an MGF control. I've been able to write a few successful programs with the conversational programing feature.

As much as I'm into the challenge and struggle of it all, EDM is a new technology for the company I work for, there isn't anyone to "apprentice" with here on site. While the manuals go over how to do things, there is more to be desired in the when to doings department. I don't know if I'm hitting base hits or triples with the programs I'm writing and I'm questioning whether or not I'm reading the Model Data tables correctly.

In other words, I'm looking to shorten the learning curve a bit. I'm open to remote training or onsite if someone is relatively local. I have a copy of The EDM Handbook by Guitrau, while it's been a resource, I'd like something more tactical, the how to/what to do.

Brian Pfluger

Cast Iron
DanyEDM,

Have you tried contacting Makino Technical Support at 1-888-625-4664 and requesting an on-site Training quote? This might be the best way to get you trained properly, as our Applications Engineers know the MGF control. Good luck with your new machine!

- Brian

tvalen1432

Aluminum
DanyEDM,
Contacting Makino is probably your best bet unless you get real lucky and some one on here steps up. I feel your pain because I been there. The books sometimes might as well be in another language when you are new to this and even when you been around a while too. EDM training is very scarce except through manufactures as far as I could find. Mitsubishi has awesome training and support. With out them and Mc Machinery I would still be pulling my hair out because I too have no one at my work who knows how to run EDM. This site has a lot of people with good help and a lot of knowledge to lean on as well. Even if you feel your questions are small or stupid, just put them out there. There maybe someone else with the same problems/question who needs the answer too. Good luck and stick with it.
Tvalen1432