What's new
What's new

Selecting a motor for a drill press: help with the 'J' in frame code J56. Pump motor?

dpFella

Plastic
Hey everybody,

I'm replacing a drill-press motor whose bearings gave out. The chuck is 5/8", and the old motor was 1/2 hp, 1 phase, 110V, sleeve bearings, frame size 56.

I'm attaching photos of the motor I am considering, for $70. It is new old stock, US-made, from 1985, and has ball bearings and a J56 frame. According to one online reference, the 'J' denotes a "NEMA C face, threaded shaft pump motor". From the photo, it is certainly not a C face.

So how do I interpret the 'J', and will this make a good replacement motor for a drill press?

Attachments

• motor1.jpg
    motor1.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 56
  • motor0.jpg
    motor0.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 67
It isn't hard to replace motor bearings.

No idea what J means. It's probably Century-specific nomenclature. Perhaps it is a reference to the resilient frame?

I suggest you run the J56 on the bench and see how much it vibrates. If ok then sure why not use it?

The nameplate on the new motor says rotation RCC, which suggests it is counterclockwise and not reversible. That would be the wrong direction for a drill press, which usually has the motor mounted with the shaft at the top.

Larry

The nameplate on the new motor says rotation RCC, which suggests it is counterclockwise and not reversible. That would be the wrong direction for a drill press, which usually has the motor mounted with the shaft at the top.

Larry

That was my next question. What is the meaning of the 'R' in 'RCC'? Yes, the shaft goes on top in my drill press.

It isn't hard to replace motor bearings.

No idea what J means. It's probably Century-specific nomenclature. Perhaps it is a reference to the resilient frame?

I suggest you run the J56 on the bench and see how much it vibrates. If ok then sure why not use it?

The old one has sleeve bearings. And it was smoking last time I ran it, so I think the insulation on the windings is ruined. I found the new one online, so I can't test it before buying.

Back