What's new
What's new

September 2022 - Practical Machinist IMTS Videos link..

Not negative comment, just asking a question. If somebody doesn't take any care in how they present themselves how can they have any care in anything thing else? You keep telling everybody this is for professionals, that 30 year old boy is no professional. He looks like he should be sleeping in the ally behind a machine shop rather than working in one.

Last edited:
This dress code issue cuts both ways. There are folks who think that simply putting on a button-down shirt and wing-tips makes them the smartest person in the room, when they are not. I'll take the middle ground.

This dress code issue cuts both ways. There are folks who think that simply putting on a button-down shirt and wing-tips makes them the smartest person in the room, when they are not. I'll take the middle ground.
This has nothing to do with making yourself look like the smartest person in the room. It's about showing respect for the people your representing as well as the people your dealing with. Something that is sorely lacking in society today. Everthing isn't about you.

Last edited:
Cool to see more videos on some of the stuff I missed at the show.

The "dress code" is definitely a generational thing. I'm in Ian's age group and I'm glad he's not dolled up in something that he would never wear. He's a real shop owner. He doesn't need to pretend to be a CNBC host or CEO of some ABC company.

Last edited:
I have to admit the backwards *adjustable strap* cap mystifies me. I get the convenience of wearing a cap in reverse when the sun is not an issue, but why not get a custom fitted solid cap that doesn't need the ridiculous looking plastic strap ?* LOL..reminds me of an episode of The Wire where the cops were asking the street hoods where they got the caps with the sideways bills.... and the response was 'no problem, buy a regular cap and turn it sideways' :D

========
*I do have a theory.... with the adjustable strap cap backwards one can see a wisp of hair in the front confirming you are not wearing the cap because you are bald ! :cool:

I have to admit the backwards *adjustable strap* cap mystifies me. I get the convenience of wearing a cap in reverse when the sun is not an issue, but why not get a custom fitted solid cap that doesn't need the ridiculous looking plastic strap ?* LOL..reminds me of an episode of The Wire where the cops were asking the street hoods where they got the caps with the sideways bills.... and the response was 'no problem, buy a regular cap and turn it sideways' :D

========
*I do have a theory.... with the adjustable strap cap backwards one can see a wisp of hair in the front confirming you are not wearing the cap because you are bald ! :cool:
Yeah the backwards cap thing is just "wannabe street hood" to show your peeps you can play GTA. :cool:

Who gives a shit what he's wearing or how he looks?
Not me.
I watch the videos for what he's talking about and who he's talking to, not for fashion tips.
To me he represents machine shop workers, wearing things normally found on employees in a machine shop.
If you don't like it, don't watch it.

Who gives a shit what he's wearing or how he looks?
Not me.
Ever noticed japanese workers in machine shops, they all wear some form of uniform for a reason, I think.

I watch the videos for what he's talking about and who he's talking to, not for fashion tips.
To me he represents machine shop workers, wearing things normally found on employees in a machine shop.
Good quality uniforms for a lets be realistic a messy place tells something about the work environment and care for personnel. On the other side, attention for detail in machining is kind of eliminatory.

If you don't like it, don't watch it.
But that's the point, videos are meant to be watchable by at least machinist, most of them like order and tidiness.

Back