What's new
What's new

Serial Numbers Wanted

Mvnvltn

Plastic
New member here looking for model I.D. help

I have an older south bend with a serial number on the top of the bed #45995, and the inside bed casting 8-24-28. I’m assuming this is a late ‘28 early ‘29 lathe. I was told it’s an 11” model? I also have the belt clipper maker thing too that’s is great condition too.

Any help would be great as I’m pretty new to the the lathe world.

swells

Stainless
Picked up a series O, 13” and 5’ bed. Ser. No. 13711

South Bend produced quite a few large lathes during WW1 between 1916 and 1917.
If this has an FFA (Friction Feed Auto-Apron) the Model would be a 34-B.
It was shipped approximately in June, 1917.
Most all were Standard Change Gear, counter shaft driven with Floor Legs for faster production and lower cost.
In The late teens after the War machine boom slowed, they added a 2 speed gear box option.
To compete with other manufactures, in early 1920 they purchased the Patten License for the 1906 patented Flather's Gear Box developed
in 1905. Early single Tumbler lathes all show this Patten License Tag.

Pictures Please...:)

Thanks,
Steve

swells

Stainless
I have an older south bend with a serial number on the top of the bed #45995, and the inside bed casting 8-24-28. I’m assuming this is a late ‘28 early ‘29 lathe. I was told it’s an 11” model? I also have the belt clipper maker thing too that’s is great condition too.

Any help would be great as I’m pretty new to the the lathe world.

If it's an 11 inch, this lathe was shipped in Nov. of 1929
It's a Model 333-? (I can't guess the length of the bed, B = 5 foot) Silent Chain Overhead Drive (SCMD) Standard Change Gear on Floor Legs.
Has FFA (friction feed Auto-Apron)

Thanks,
Steve

labradigger1

Plastic
South Bend produced quite a few large lathes during WW1 between 1916 and 1917.
If this has an FFA (Friction Feed Auto-Apron) the Model would be a 34-B.
It was shipped approximately in June, 1917.
Most all were Standard Change Gear, counter shaft driven with Floor Legs for faster production and lower cost.
In The late teens after the War machine boom slowed, they added a 2 speed gear box option.
To compete with other manufactures, in early 1920 they purchased the Patten License for the 1906 patented Flather's Gear Box developed
in 1905. Early single Tumbler lathes all show this Patten License Tag.

Pictures Please...:)

Thanks,
Steve

Thank you for the information. This machine came to me with a 10” 4 jaw independant chuck, sb steady rest, sb machining attachment and 1/2” milling shank holder that screws over the headstock. Also a large heavily made wooden crate that I think is original for attachment storage but haven’t confirmed yet.

swells

Stainless
9” south bend lathe, Catalog # 331-X it’s a 9”swing and 2 1/2 ‘ bed, serial # 35392 South bend 331-X - Google Photos

This lathe dates to 1927, the catalog number was relisted in 1929 in catalog 90-A
This was the replacement base number for the model 25. 331 is a standard change gear lathe with Silent Chain Overhead Motor Drive (SCMD)with power feeds. it's usually listed as a floor Leg lathe. There are several X-Bed owners in the group, I have two of them.

They are stout little machines. :)

Thanks for sharing pictures.

Steve

Lilyike

Plastic
I've always thought so...:)

You need DA47A7C8-F1EE-46FA-AAFA-8382440E46A7.jpga felt kit for a Heavy ten, see Steve Brooks posts.
Lets Call this lathe a Standard Change Gear,10 inch, 11/16 Collet lathe, S series. It's a letter series, Wide bed lathe (or Heavy Ten).
It just has the smaller spindle.

The Narrow bed lathes are the 8 inch, the Toolmaker 9, The Workshop 9 series and the Light 10 or 10K.
There are a few parts that cross the models, but not many.

I have the felt strips for the Apron and Gear box for a Heavy Ten. They are now $10.00, that includes $2.60 shipping first class.

Steve
Serial card

140mower

Aluminum
I'll toss my two in here as well.
First is a 10K with 3 1/2' bed, catalog number cl0670z,and serial number 34000k. It was out of a high school shop, so it has it's fair share of battle scars, but I have it pretty well tooled and it does most everything I ask of it.
Second is a 13"x6' with catalog number 86c, and serial number 41491 (this one may already be in the system as the two previous owners before me I believe are both forum members). It apparently spent it's working years making parts to keep an old crop duster in the air, would like to learn a little more about this one and I might try getting a card for it one day.

Don

swells

Stainless
I'll toss my two in here as well.
First is a 10K with 3 1/2' bed, catalog number cl0670z,and serial number 34000k. It was out of a high school shop, so it has it's fair share of battle scars, but I have it pretty well tooled and it does most everything I ask of it.
Second is a 13"x6' with catalog number 86c, and serial number 41491 (this one may already be in the system as the two previous owners before me I believe are both forum members). It apparently spent it's working years making parts to keep an old crop duster in the air, would like to learn a little more about this one and I might try getting a card for it one day.

Don

Hi Don,
The 10K appears to be a 1976 12 speed steel cabinet bench lathe with horizontal motor drive.
The 13 inch is a 1929 "O" series with Quick change gearbox on floor legs with Countershaft drive.
the 13 has a interesting history, that is one thing I enjoy, reading the stories behind the lathe's past.

Thanks for the numbers,
Steve

Bigpapi

Plastic
I have just purchased a South bend lathe. I’m having trouble because the tag information is completely worn off. What would be my next step?

packardbill

Cast Iron
Welcome. The serial number will be stamped into the far right end of the bed. Between the front V-way and the Flat-way that the tailstock rides on. It will be all numbers or numbers followed by letters. Post the Number and someone will help. Post a pic if you can. PB

Mabjack14

Plastic
2E93860D-F4CC-4D16-80DA-50DE773B5BC6.jpgI just got this lathe a couple of weeks ago and have not been able find out much about what all the serial number stands for. All I know about it is it’s a 10” modal A with a 4 1/2’ gap bed V belt rear drive motor. Catalog number CL 770RG. serial number 10675KAX2 it’s in pretty good condition, just needs a good cleaning. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.