What's new
What's new

Serial Numbers Wanted

Dankirk

Plastic
I’m new owner of a SB 11. S/N 73719 UMD delivered to Houston Tx 1/29/1937. Hopefully can find enough parts to bring it back to life.

Dankirk

Plastic
I am now requesting all serial numbers and dates. I have listed all the early pre 1940, and have a good start on the post 1940 numbers. If you would like a copy of the list, visit my website and click the serial number link. I will update it every week. I only have a few files uploaded at this time, the new site has only been up for two hours. so if you like what you see...tell me.
If you are looking for something special, tell me and if I have it I will upload it. I just received a loaned catalog collection from the west coast that you would not believe! Everone on this group and the Yahoo group gets a free pass inside the site as I build it. Usernames and passwords will be issued at a future time, but it will still be free to the two groups.
the site is:

wswells.com

Steve
I have a SB 11”. S/N 73719
I am now requesting all serial numbers and dates. I have listed all the early pre 1940, and have a good start on the post 1940 numbers. If you would like a copy of the list, visit my website and click the serial number link. I will update it every week. I only have a few files uploaded at this time, the new site has only been up for two hours. so if you like what you see...tell me.
If you are looking for something special, tell me and if I have it I will upload it. I just received a loaned catalog collection from the west coast that you would not believe! Everone on this group and the Yahoo group gets a free pass inside the site as I build it. Usernames and passwords will be issued at a future time, but it will still be free to the two groups.
the site is:

wswells.com

Steve
Hey Steve, I have SB 11. Attached the serial card. Will try to add a picture. Working on restoration

Attachments

• F96E109B-E60E-4247-8E35-BF3AB9B3FD9E.jpeg
    F96E109B-E60E-4247-8E35-BF3AB9B3FD9E.jpeg
    227.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 931E4A73-38CA-4319-A422-82E72B1438AB.jpeg
    931E4A73-38CA-4319-A422-82E72B1438AB.jpeg
    109.3 KB · Views: 8

Dankirk

Plastic
Thank you sir. I’m looking for the gear on the back end of the spindle shaft. The one that drives the thread and cross feed gears. It’s mia on this lathe. I saw a parts manual on your website that indicated this gear number is 30. If someone could send dimensions, tooth count it would be a big help.
Thanks for what you do!
KD

sho-me

Plastic
I have a SB-13 serial 10491tkx14. I'm going to try and attach serial card.
(new here)10491tkx14 (1).jpg10491tkx14 (2).jpg

Last edited:

animal12

Cast Iron
9" QCGB lathe large dial , taper attachment , cabinet model cover over spindle on headstock . Numbers on the gear chart are stamped kinda wonkey maybe a 2183 44ZD sn 42837NKR9 originally believed to be shipped to a Mitchell Camera in southern CA . Story was the guy my bud bought it from retired & had some ides for making camera lenses & he ended up with this lathe . He died & my bud bought it from his brother that had stored it in a building at a monastery . MY bud made arraignments & bought it from the brother at the Monastery & the day after my bud picked it up the storage building that it was in at the Monastery caught on fire & burned to the ground . I'm hoping Steve can verify the Mdl # . The date I'm seeing is @ 1959 ?
thanks
animal

swells

Stainless
9" QCGB lathe large dial , taper attachment , cabinet model cover over spindle on headstock . Numbers on the gear chart are stamped kinda wonkey maybe a 2183 44ZD sn 42837NKR9 originally believed to be shipped to a Mitchell Camera in southern CA . Story was the guy my bud bought it from retired & had some ides for making camera lenses & he ended up with this lathe . He died & my bud bought it from his brother that had stored it in a building at a monastery . MY bud made arraignments & bought it from the brother at the Monastery & the day after my bud picked it up the storage building that it was in at the Monastery caught on fire & burned to the ground . I'm hoping Steve can verify the Mdl # . The date I'm seeing is @ 1959 ?
thanks
animal
Very nice find, and my overall choice for the best South Bend Workshop lathe made.
I've wanted one for years, just haven't found one yet.
This is a Tool-Room lathe, model 8344-ZD, 3.5-foot bed. It has drawers on the right side of the underdrive bench. if the "D" was absent in the catalog number it would have a right-side floor leg, no drawers. The most common preceding letters were "CL", that is a flat-belt 12-speed. The V-belt drive 16-speed letters were "CL7", so it's not uncommon to see CL78344ZD, or CL8344ZD. If you post a photo for me, I'll look closer.
It has a very interesting history, that's one thing I always love is how they travel to the new owners.
As for the date, in sequential serial number at that time frame, it appears they were producing approximately 140-150 Workshops a month. It falls 160 before a September 12th, 1958, lathe.
So between July and August of 1958 would be where it fits.
Looking forward to seeing it!!
Steve