What's new
What's new

Serial Numbers Wanted

Ok good to hear. Wasn't sure if i was missing something there or not every other headstock i see has a round hole and a round wick. Does this one take a square wick? Was looking at the plate on the guard looks like the catalog number is 415-YA.

Nope - the wick will be round.

I had a 415-YA, SN was 85689. On the front of the headstock, there should be a very small hole, either just behind the oiler or above it. On yours, is that above or below the bearing split?

Sure - if your lathe was built prior to 1947. After that, they changed the numbering system. Your lathe was built in 1950.

From the link you posted:
Until a change of policy in 1947 - and a production total of approximately 186,500 lathes - South Bend used a simple sequential numbering system, but after that Serials were broken down between different types of lathe with numbers assigned sequentially within a group.

Here's a better link, courtesy of Steve Wells: South Bend Lathe Serial Numbers

Nope - the wick will be round.

I had a 415-YA, SN was 85689. On the front of the headstock, there should be a very small hole, either just behind the oiler or above it. On yours, is that above or below the bearing split?

Neat thats not far from this one! Mine looks like it's above the split. Whats the purpose of that hole doesnt look like i could hold the wick down like that? From what i'm reading i think a spacer goes in the split also is that right? Still trying to get all the info i can about setting up the headstock. And i have no idea why my pics keep going sideways.

image1 (2).jpg
image2 (1).jpg

Neat thats not far from this one! Mine looks like it's above the split. Whats the purpose of that hole doesnt look like i could hold the wick down like that? From what i'm reading i think a spacer goes in the split also is that right? Still trying to get all the info i can about setting up the headstock. And i have no idea why my pics keep going sideways.

View attachment 295900
View attachment 295901

I believe it's a vent for the reservoir. To hold the wick down during spindle install, you'll need to remove the oiler cups and insert something long and thin in there. That lathe must have been built in the latter half of 1938, because shortly after, I'm pretty sure they moved that hole down just above the oiler.

I believe it's a vent for the reservoir. To hold the wick down during spindle install, you'll need to remove the oiler cups and insert something long and thin in there. That lathe must have been built in the latter half of 1938, because shortly after, I'm pretty sure they moved that hole down just above the oiler.

Do these 9" Lathes headstocks all go together about the same?

Do these 9" Lathes headstocks all go together about the same?

Pretty much - some had brass bearing inserts, some like yours, run the spindle in cast iron. Early ones had oilers up on top of the bearing caps, later ones had wicks.

There should be no shortage of threads here and youtube videos on how to reassemble that headstock.

Pretty much - some had brass bearing inserts, some like yours, run the spindle in cast iron. Early ones had oilers up on top of the bearing caps, later ones had wicks.

There should be no shortage of threads here and youtube videos on how to reassemble that headstock.

Yea thanks for the help finally had the chance to look at some videos and found a good teardown one.

New here and I picked this up about a month ago. The fellow I bought it from says late 60's early 70's for a build date, does this sound about right? It's also a Canadian model if that makes any difference.

Serial # is C12419kar.
K7nhyLe.jpg

dCTRlqL.jpg

C7215E23-3AEA-455D-8DDA-F683B767BE83.jpg25743128-E609-45FB-85D1-81499A967013.jpg1BBA5577-A588-4A60-8C3C-F8B98F657EA7.jpg
Here’s my new toy... 1956 South Bend.
I’m new to the site, hoping I’m posting this in the right place !
Thank, Tom

1956 new toy pics

9EC85A78-DC91-44BC-A907-168DBC3691AE.jpgF9EE4E44-E842-44C0-AC4F-25E52FD589BE.jpg50FA0468-4E96-4161-90F3-50D282518DE3.jpg93D90010-FC22-4852-9D6A-F7888E7948BF.jpg
Looking for a 5C collet attachment for this machine.
It came with a hand wheel that’s far to short and I have no spindle nose attachment.
I would really line the kind of collet closure with a handle that activates the draw bar... did they make them back then... or is the hand wheel my only option?
Thank you for your time, Tom

Hi Everyone
New member and new South Bend Owner in British Columbia:
Please take a squint at the serial number, 56759K. I was expecting to see 3 letters?
What model is this and approximate date of manufacture. The seller said it was a 9 x 30

20200825_210209.jpg

20200829_194500.jpg

New to machining, picked up a new lathe

I recently bought an unknown lathe from a my extended family. He said he didn't know much about it other than he use one "just like it," in the navy. I purchased the serial card which describes it as an 8"x3' JR bench. But beyond that I'm not finding a match in the catalogs. Primarily the fact that it has twin V belts.
I am on the fence whether I want to Update the missing parts to a Servo and VFD or follow the many videos and try to restore it. But I fear parts for this model might be scarce. Any guidance would be appreciated.
52230 serial card.pdf - Google Drive
Lathe Headstock1.jpg - Google Drive
Drive box.jpg - Google Drive
Missing parts.jpg - Google Drive

I recently bought an unknown lathe from a my extended family. He said he didn't know much about it other than he use one "just like it," in the navy. I purchased the serial card which describes it as an 8"x3' JR bench. But beyond that I'm not finding a match in the catalogs. Primarily the fact that it has twin V belts.
I am on the fence whether I want to Update the missing parts to a Servo and VFD or follow the many videos and try to restore it. But I fear parts for this model might be scarce. Any guidance would be appreciated.

That's really interesting - can you post some more pics? Maybe a frontal pic of the whole machine. The intermediate shaft with the twin v-belts - haven't seen anything like that before. I'll be interested as to what Steve says about this one.

That lathe is not a South Bend...it’s a Logan

That lathe is not a South Bend...it’s a Logan

I should have known - the lack of headstock oilers and the pullout knob for the back gear. Well, there goes $25. Hey - if you can find the owner of SN 52230, you might be able to sell that serial card, and get some of your money back!:rolleyes5:

New Owner of SB10 Heavy

Hi everyone,

My name is Jeong and I'm from Atlanta, GA. I'm a new member and new owner of a recently purchased old South Bend heavy 10. I'd originally planned to use it with minimum maintenance but changed my mind while cleaning and decided to go for a full restoration. It seems like the machine went through some pretty rough but minimum use. If you all have any advice or recommendations for the restoration process, I'd really appreciate it.

Catalog No.: CL187RB
Bed length: 4.5'
Chart No.: 6752R
Serial Number: 21397R

Thank you,
SSN_SB10L.jpgSB 10L Unloading.jpg

Back