What's new
What's new

Serial Numbers Wanted

Hi Steve, thanks for compiling the data, a big job for sure. I recently acquired my SB 10K lathe and the learning journey is beginning. So much to know, where to start? Lucky me, it appears my lathe was never really used. The original greases had hardened up to the point nothing really turned. A complete dismantling, cleaning and lubing has it in a happy state.

It is a CL370RD with a 4 1/2 foot bed and the serial number is 35076 K.

Looking at your spreadsheets, I did find my model and by the serial number, it looks to be later 70's vintage. It has a 1/2 HP 3 ph motor, looks to be original. I've included some SB data sheets(see attached)that you can add to your material (in case you don't already have it).

[/ATTACH]View attachment 339771View attachment 339772View attachment 339775View attachment 339774View attachment 339777
1978, and very nice, wish I had it...:)

1913 Series O
Photo link not working, so I can't ID model
After I posted the link worked.
This is a converted Pedal lathe with the drive missing.
It is more than likely a 13-inch Model 34, but you need to measure the swing for us to tell. Should be 6-1/2" to center.

After I posted the link worked.
This is a converted Pedal lathe with the drive missing.
It is more than likely a 13-inch Model 34, but you need to measure the swing for us to tell. Should be 6-1/2" to center.
This also could be a Sears Expert Lathe, post more photos.

Witam dostałem ostatnio w prezencie tokarkę sounth bend lathe 9' model 415-YV numer katalogowy 490974 beż dodatkowego sprzętu.

To był bardzo fajny prezent!! Byłby to 9-calowy model Workshop, ale jest błąd w numerze seryjnym, za dużo numerów, sprawdź jeszcze raz.

Steve

1927 South Bend 13" Gap Bed Engine Lathe, 5 foot bed, S/N 3571

QC gearbox, Trestle base (legs, no cabinet). Originally used overhead belts. Looks like a factory conversion to electric. The gap bed allows up to 16" swing, but the apron is reversed (transverse wheel is on the opposite side of the apron) from most others. This is prior to SB data card system.

View attachment 341067
There is a digit missing in the serial number- 3571?, 35171, 36571 ??
Recheck please
Steve

I don't know if this thread is still alive, but here is my info.

SN: 55092
Size: 6 ft bed, 15 in swing
Model: 188C

View attachment 341154

View attachment 341155

Image of serial number
View attachment 341157

Here is the card from South Bend (Grizzly):
View attachment 341156

I am working on a restoration project of this. Here is my video series: South Bend Lathe Restoration - YouTube

Enjoy!

Kevin T
Hi Kevin,
The serial number dates the build of your lathe to 1934, but probably was a display model for South Bend or in their inventory and sold/shipped in 1935.
It is not unusual to see this, where the numbers are not sequential with the ship dates.
This is a Series N lathe with the first double wall apron and has a push pull feed selector, the Series N started in 1931.
The N series were the first South Bend lathes to have tapered gibs, which were later used on all letter series lathes.
These were Heavy lathes built more for industry and manufacturing and were more expensive.
The new R series lathes were developed in 1933-1934 with a revised apron and feed selector, it was more popular than the N series.
The T series lathes added the tapered gibs to the R series saddle and other improvements.
By 1938-1939 they were working on the S Series lathes which were a combination of all improvements from all Series O, N, R and T lathes
In late 1939 South Bend started phasing out the production of all series except the S series and the Workshop Series.
Parts for the N series apron could be a little hard to find due to the low number made, but they do show up now and then.
There are forum members that know the N series and help if you have questions.
Good luck with your build.
Steve

WOW I just joined searching for information and stumbled here!!
My lathe is serial number 131358. It has the D.W.W. bed stamp and a circle below the s/n with AN and u46 under it.
It's cabinet mounted with the motor inside the lower cabinet
I think it's a 10"x4ft but I'm not sure.
It's been converted to CNC so the previous owner took off the apron and the quick change gears and the reverse gear set. :(
So, I'm searching for parts and part numbers to put it back together right.
1942 war lathe,
The stamps are inspection and acceptance marks for government and military.
Post photos of the latter circle and letters, I don't recall that one.
Steve

Several have passed through my shop in recent years. Alas, I have been remiss in recording serial numbers.

174823 was a nice 9A long bed.
That one is a 1946.
No problem on numbers, I'll never catch up anyway...
I still have hundreds of them to add, I just can't do it all the time anymore and I get behind.

Steve

I’m new owner of a SB 11. S/N 73719 UMD delivered to Houston Tx 1/29/1937. Hopefully can find enough parts to bring it back to life.

I am now requesting all serial numbers and dates. I have listed all the early pre 1940, and have a good start on the post 1940 numbers. If you would like a copy of the list, visit my website and click the serial number link. I will update it every week. I only have a few files uploaded at this time, the new site has only been up for two hours. so if you like what you see...tell me.
If you are looking for something special, tell me and if I have it I will upload it. I just received a loaned catalog collection from the west coast that you would not believe! Everone on this group and the Yahoo group gets a free pass inside the site as I build it. Usernames and passwords will be issued at a future time, but it will still be free to the two groups.
the site is:

wswells.com

Steve
I have a SB 11”. S/N 73719
I am now requesting all serial numbers and dates. I have listed all the early pre 1940, and have a good start on the post 1940 numbers. If you would like a copy of the list, visit my website and click the serial number link. I will update it every week. I only have a few files uploaded at this time, the new site has only been up for two hours. so if you like what you see...tell me.
If you are looking for something special, tell me and if I have it I will upload it. I just received a loaned catalog collection from the west coast that you would not believe! Everone on this group and the Yahoo group gets a free pass inside the site as I build it. Usernames and passwords will be issued at a future time, but it will still be free to the two groups.
the site is:

wswells.com

Steve
Hey Steve, I have SB 11. Attached the serial card. Will try to add a picture. Working on restoration

Attachments

• F96E109B-E60E-4247-8E35-BF3AB9B3FD9E.jpeg
    F96E109B-E60E-4247-8E35-BF3AB9B3FD9E.jpeg
    227.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 931E4A73-38CA-4319-A422-82E72B1438AB.jpeg
    931E4A73-38CA-4319-A422-82E72B1438AB.jpeg
    109.3 KB · Views: 19

Back