What's new
What's new

setting up a new cnc machine shop

I just looked at their website. Schneeberger and THK rails and screws, Fanuc and Siemens options for controls, drives and motors, 30krpm spindle options...

I looked up the spindle manufacturer, and while chinese, they appear at least competent at a glance.

I don't know any more than that, but they are very clearly trying to disassociate themselves with the hobby crowd.

I would never entertain the idea of one with one of the chinese controls, but a Fanuc or Siemens? Not a whole lot to go wrong there...

I did a bit of googling and found that someone was quoted north of 50k for the X7 machine with a Fanuc control. max allowable weight on the table is only 220lbs, which seams incredibly limiting.

Yes its without a doubt better than a tormach, but you can get into a Robodrill Eco at about the same price, with no doubts as to whether replacement parts can be had.

I did a bit of googling and found that someone was quoted north of 50k for the X7 machine with a Fanuc control. max allowable weight on the table is only 220lbs, which seams incredibly limiting.

Yes its without a doubt better than a tormach, but you can get into a Robodrill Eco at about the same price, with no doubts as to whether replacement parts can be had.

That's possible.

I found a dealer price listed here in the UK for the X7 with Siemens 808D, 10K BT30 spindle, 125mm 4th for £33k which is about $45k.
The syil uk website has a popup that says they will send you a full price list if you ask, but my investment in this ends at my participation ITT.. I will never buy one of these, and I don't need to be on any more mailing lists.

The work envelope is 400x300 - I don't think you'd often need to exceed 100Kg in that space... The RD has a bigger envelope, but IDK what the cost difference would be for a RDeco with a small 4th?

SWAG- that weight limit is based on servo torque. They likely don't have the nuts to move anything heavier at full rapids.

Programmed via Mazatrol

I mean roll eyes whatever you want but its true. American made as an awesome concept but foreign brands are and always have been as good or better. Bet most of you have a mititoyo mic or indicator and regard it as one of the best. China gets a bad rep because american companies buy their cheapest quality parts. Lots of companies make similar quality or even better overseas. Tormach isnt american made to my knowledge either and while the american support may be better I figured most machinists can figure out how to work on mechanical things......... Just my .02 take it or leave it. But its time to stop pretending american made is better and actually make it better. Because most of the time its not

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
See bolded above. This for sure is not accurate. I'm old enough to remember when I could squeeze a set of Japanese made pliers, and had them collapse. Chinese stuff too, but much more recently. I've had much better luck with domestic raw materials, compared with a lot of imported stuff, although there are some exceptions. The often recommended torque wrenches from HF (since very cheap, especially on sale) can literally fall apart in my hands. Take a look at Bolton CNC machine tools - would you really want to put your money down, and bet your business success on one of those? I would not.

Back