What's new
What's new

setting up a new cnc machine shop

I mean roll eyes whatever you want but its true. American made as an awesome concept but foreign brands are and always have been as good or better. Bet most of you have a mititoyo mic or indicator and regard it as one of the best. China gets a bad rep because american companies buy their cheapest quality parts. Lots of companies make similar quality or even better overseas. Tormach isnt american made to my knowledge either and while the american support may be better I figured most machinists can figure out how to work on mechanical things......... Just my .02 take it or leave it. But its time to stop pretending american made is better and actually make it better. Because most of the time its not

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Is the 98 in your username the year you were born? It's great to be young and full of ignorant enthusiasm, but try not to take too long to figure out how stupid you actually are at this age.

Or maybe because China is totalitarian regime currently committing mass genocide and then covering up the release of a virus that sent the world down a path toward financial ruin?
Dont see most people not buying german stuff because of the same reason. So your logic makes no sense to me.

Dont see most people not buying german stuff because of the same reason. So your log of makes no sense to me.

4952745818_bf75a31ea5_b.jpg

Dude thinks a Syil with Mach 3 controller is a real machine with industrial control.... And then wants to talk bad about Haas...

Well this has become all very unhelpful for the OP.

The Whiner notwithstanding, some good questions above. Why not start with a used machine? I echo the Business Plan sentiment. Wanting to buy a Torshit and start a machine shop is like buying a Trabant to start a taxi company. Both exercises in futility in 2021.

:cough: MACH4 now :cough:
:D
I believe the siemens and the lmc controller are both industrial....... Look idk everything and some have you have forgot more than I know but pretending like nothing under 6 figures is worth machining on is silly

From Syil's site, FAQ page:

"Are service technicians available for service and maintenance?

At SYIL we offer remote support as well as local support. We have a network of dealers with global reach. Our China-based technical support team is available via phone or email. They can provide guidance on installation, troubleshooting and when applicable component replacement. Kindly note that we aim to deliver durable and simple machines, with few problems and easy repairs. Nevertheless, in case there is a severe repair needed which you cannot do yourselves, we will help you find a local service solution. Please contact us in any case where you need such service."

Can't stop laughing................good luck getting service.............................

"Are replacement parts available?

We stock all replacement parts in our warehouse in China and can provide fast air freight delivery to the United States if needed. In case you are looking for spare parts, the best is to contact our Technical Support team. It is our job to find a solution for you."

Can't stop laughing...............good luck getting parts....................

That's a non starter for any machine to be used in any real shop outside of China......................

Look idk everything and some have you have forgot more than I know but pretending like nothing under 6 figures is worth machining on is silly.

But no one has said anything about six-figure machines? No one has even insinuated this. Hell I sure don’t own any six-figure machines.

Dave, get back to work! How else are you going to pay for all those six-figure Doosans? ;)

I believe the siemens and the lmc controller are both industrial....... Look idk everything and some have you have forgot more than I know but pretending like nothing under 6 figures is worth machining on is silly

A nice haas can be had for much lower than 6 figures.

I looked around at the syil machines, I didn't see any resovours for rice and soy sauce...those Chinese machines can get mighty cranky if they aren't given their rations timely...worse than running it out of lube oil.

And to clear your assumption, I do work for a large company. Would I like my own shop, sure I'm certain I could swing it. But...sometimes it's better to be the prince and play with the kings toys (haas) ;)

I mean roll eyes whatever you want but its true. American made as an awesome concept but foreign brands are and always have been as good or better. Bet most of you have a mititoyo mic or indicator and regard it as one of the best. China gets a bad rep because american companies buy their cheapest quality parts. Lots of companies make similar quality or even better overseas. Tormach isnt american made to my knowledge either and while the american support may be better I figured most machinists can figure out how to work on mechanical things......... Just my .02 take it or leave it. But its time to stop pretending american made is better and actually make it better. Because most of the time its not

I spent many years in engineering and operations positions around the world and managed plants in many countries including five in China. I can tell you with absolute authority to always be suspicious of Chinese goods. Remember, Asia is a BIG place with many countries and cultures. China, and Japan are as different as Night and Day. In general, I trust Japanese and South Korean products. China, Vietnam and India still have a very long way to go.

I trust Made in the USA above all others.

I've seen / heard Tormach's cut. I wouldn't try to do any real work with one. I briefly considered Syil, but I couldn't find anyone actually using one to check out. The service situation would make me nervous too; when you're in business you've got to be making parts or your losing money.

Based on what I've seen, a Haas is the entry level floor for a business machine, anything lower is hobby grade.

Has nothing to do with buying American.................has everything to do with NOT buying a boat anchor from China...................................buying a machine that will be a money maker and not a money pit. I have machines from the US, S Korea, and Japan on my floor.........................

I have machines from germany, japan, and switzerland ... don't think anyone would doubt the quality of em ;) China...probably not.

I don't understand what everyone is arguing about.

OP said tormach, not the first responder.

First responder said a Syil is much better than a tormach, which is objectively true.

Are the "higher end" Syils as good as or competitive with Haas? Probably closer than many of you seem to think.

Gregor, I remember reading a long thread a few years ago about Syil getting into the VMC market. Can't remember if it was here or the zone.
But yes, they are definitely a reasonably sturdy looking machine (Drill/Tap type), as this photo of one without the sheet metalwork shows.
Obviously, class of rails, screws, spindle, and all the ancillaries such as relays and drives are unknown, and that would be where my worry would be.

I just looked at their website. Schneeberger and THK rails and screws, Fanuc and Siemens options for controls, drives and motors, 30krpm spindle options...

I looked up the spindle manufacturer, and while chinese, they appear at least competent at a glance.

I don't know any more than that, but they are very clearly trying to disassociate themselves with the hobby crowd.

I would never entertain the idea of one with one of the chinese controls, but a Fanuc or Siemens? Not a whole lot to go wrong there...

I trust Made in the USA above all others.

Why? Objectively, what do we make better than anyone else, besides obese people?

Cars? Nah, Japanese, or even Korean these days.

TVs? Nah....

Computers? Ummm...

Smartphones... Yeah...

Blenders... Maybe. Ope... Nope... Ninja blenders are designed in the US and assembled in China...

Looking around my work space, I thought of my 3D Connexion space mouse, it's high quality... Nope, made in Germany.

Belts? Yeah, we probably win that one. Hank's Belts are awesome.

Work boots? Nope Red Wing moved most of their stuff to China.

Machine tools? Nah...

So, serious question, what do we manufacture better than anyone else?

Do not buy any Chinese CNC machine. Leave a minimum of 3 feet around a machine for maintenance. Budget for support equipment and tooling, that cost can add up quick.

Why? Objectively, what do we make better than anyone else, besides obese people?

Cars? Nah, Japanese, or even Korean these days.

TVs? Nah....

Computers? Ummm...

Smartphones... Yeah...

Blenders... Maybe. Ope... Nope... Ninja blenders are designed in the US and assembled in China...

Looking around my work space, I thought of my 3D Connexion space mouse, it's high quality... Nope, made in Germany.

Belts? Yeah, we probably win that one. Hank's Belts are awesome.

Work boots? Nope Red Wing moved most of their stuff to China.

Machine tools? Nah...

So, serious question, what do we manufacture better than anyone else?

Consumers. America is best at making consumers.

Back