What's new
What's new

Setting up a VFD to unknown motor

A PM motor should run on a VFD, so long as you aren't using any fancy features. It does behave a bit differently though.

Start with 2 volts and 10 Hz. Up the voltage until it runs smoothly and develops torque without causing overcurrent. I worry the drive can't meaningfully go down to such a low voltage though for these tests.

A lot of servo motors operate in the 400Hz range, which will make the correct V/Hz super low. I was assuming this is not the case because the motor does not appear to have an encoder.

A PM motor should run on a VFD, so long as you aren't using any fancy features. It does behave a bit differently though.
I have never seen an induction motor VFD be capable of running a PM motor without PM software. The lack of slip and the counter-emf generated voltage needs to be dealt with. Maybe it might run in V/Hz mode, but I doubt it. Also PM motors cannot be run above base speed (rated frequency) - with proper software can overspeed maybe 10% or just a little more, but the drive has to play games to reduce magnetic flux.

Straight from the reviews on the drive:

Works for asynchronous induction motors only
Reviewed in the United States on May 14, 2023
Number of Items: 1Style: 1.5KW 110VVerified Purchase
This unit will not work for permanent magnet ac motors.

Back