What's new
What's new

Setup to drill and tap 5/8 hole

memphisjed

Stainless
It escapes me why this part needs to be threaded at all. It is hard to conceive of an application where a clearance hole drilled in the center and a roll pin cross drilled to fix the crank to the threaded shaft would not be good enough. It might also be more appropriate for the OP's skill level and equipment situation. If there is any slop in the clearance hole, then let's get the much vaunted JB Weld into this thread. (We should not pass up a chance to suggest JB Weld.) And I guess we, for completeness, should include McMaster-Carr which could undoubtedly supply the needed roll-pin as well as any drill bits, drill motors, and space-occupying epoxies should JB not be good enough.

Denis

Maybe eliminate the jb, drill a 19/32 hole and tap that with the tap in a cordless drill. No oil, no dr pepper, no wobble, no fuss. then cross holes and pin.

michiganbuck

Diamond
I think we are being spammed...there's no way someone is this clueless...it's simply not possible.

I have seen people who with being non-mechanical and having little teaching try very impractical things.

Quote Originally Posted by dgfoster View Post
[It escapes me why this part needs to be threaded at all.]

Agree..perhaps trying to use a threaded rod for the easy way to make a feed screw (?), the nuts to lock handle in place.
Threaded rod, Steel plain finish, 5/8"-18 x 3 ft - Bolt Depot

If so the Op might (242) Loctite the handwheel and taper pin it..then put a lock nut at the opposite end of the shaft. for a little better hack way of doing it.
Amazon.com: SNUG Fasteners (SNG236) Ten (10) 5/8-11 Zinc Plated Nylon Insert Hex Lock Nuts : Industrial & Scientific

taper pin reamer:
#4 HIGH SPEED STEEL STRAIGHT FLUTE TAPER PIN REAMER | eBay

Good to know a 5/8 11 thread will move .091" per turn and 5/8 18 = .056"...if that matters.

A 60* thread may not be best for all applications, an acme threaded rod can also be bought/often at a higher price.