What's new
What's new

Shaggy's Sag 12

Probably pretty good for the timeline. I know all the gearbox clutches here were stamped 5/74, it must have been a busy time in the factory! Surprises that they'd bother spraying industrial machines in two colours, changing guns and mixing paint, etc - unless the new blue was reserved for the 12S for marketing reasons. Surprised to see a 12 being listed as exhibited here at a trade show in 1965 too.

Not standard wiring here, but the two clutches seem to de-energize after a brake application.

Just a shot in the dark, but maybe your brake circuit uses a charged capacitor to momentarily energize the two clutches?

LOL!

84 half-square bundles of Reinke Shakes hand carried and stacked nicely under cover, 1/3 of them needing three moves, yesterday?

I figure I've moved over 5,000 Avoir but thankfully at only 45 lbs each go!

And I am NOT "getting too old for this s**t"!

Anyway.. "that's my lie, and I'm ..... hobbling to it!"

:D

"Actually, it's not all that heavy"

-told with a straight face to g/f a few days after each new (and bigger) machine move.

"Actually, it's not all that heavy"

-told with a straight face to g/f a few days after each new (and bigger) machine move.

Wife's family - Cantonese - are surprisingly strong for their slenderness, and seriously long on non-stop stamina - but just not as heavy-boned as an Anglo-Scottish-German-Irish "Gweilo".

Nearly 30 years ago, age 46 or thereabouts, I had my Wife sitting on my neck, one of her 150 lb brothers each "chinning" themselves on each arm, held out as a bar.

Her Dad was gobsmacked as I then walked across the room toward's him!

Her delightful 4' 10" Mum (a man couldn't ASK for a nicer M'in Law..) just giggled!

Cantonese are globally notorious for putting good eating at the top of life's priorities.

What's in second place they do NOT (seem to...) talk about. Commentators claim cultural prudishness.

Given the outrageously ribald nature of their native language?

I blame economy of TIME, rather!

"Priorities", y'see...

:D

As Shaggy has said, there is no bunching of the wiring. The inner tube (yellow highlight) moves with the carriage, it carries the flexible metallic sheaved conduit. There is no relative movement between the 'yellow' inner tube and the flexible metallic conduit, they both move together.

The flexible conduit rises and falls nicely in a big loop inside the headstock basement, alongside the transmission.

View attachment 307428

O.K., that makes a lot more sense now. I didn't realize that the wiring was in a flexible metalic conduit riding inside the telescoping conduit.
Thanks for the explanation.
Ted

Shaggy's Sag 12 (cont'd)

I had it all set up ready to use, so I thought today would be as good as any to christen the Sag 12 :)

Pretty blue chips. .050" doc off some 1-1/2" CRS, feed .010" @ 500 rpm:

IMG_20201214_184446045.jpgIMG_20201214_183432058.jpg

Oh yeah, I took some pics of my two spare steadys -- possible candidates for the bandsaw.
They're both nice pieces but unfortunately a bit big across the legs to easily modify for the Sag 12, and seeing the price of old steady rests on fleabay, I'm not in a rush to hack them up lest the result is less than ideal. I might be willing to swap one for a more suitable candidate.

Anybody got any idea what they might be from? Smaller one (on the left) is for 15" swing, the larger, 16" (edited: oops, had the wrong pic):

IMG_20201214_190101714.jpg IMG_20201214_185952180.jpg

-shaggy

Attachments

• IMG_20201214_190128358.jpg
    IMG_20201214_190128358.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
I had it all set up ready to use, so I thought today would be as good as any to christen the Sag 12 :)

Pretty blue chips. .050" doc off some 1-1/2" CRS, feed .010" @ 500 rpm:

View attachment 307643View attachment 307642

Oh yeah, I took some pics of my two spare steadys -- possible candidates for the bandsaw.
They're both nice pieces but unfortunately a bit big across the legs to easily modify for the Sag 12, and seeing the price of old steady rests on fleabay, I'm not in a rush to hack them up lest the result is less than ideal. I might be willing to swap one for a more suitable candidate.

Anybody got any idea what they might be from? Smaller one (on the left) is for 15" swing, the larger, 16":

View attachment 307645View attachment 307644

-shaggy
Nice looking chips and a respectable finish, I'd say. Good start!

Nice looking chips and a respectable finish, I'd say. Good start!

Thanks! A piece of cake for the Sag 12, that would certainly have stalled my SB9. Finish is surprisingly decent for the material, courtesy brand-new Morse C6 bit. No cheap carbide for this beauty :)

Just wanted to wish everyone here a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

..and a big thanks to all those who helped with advice and comments, especially Peter S, and Peter in Holland.

Looking forward to a productive New Year w/ my Sag 12 :)

-shaggy

Well, I finally got my Sag 12!

I won the online auction for this Graziano Sag 12 on Wed. Nov. 11th......<snipped>
View attachment 305028

(Reached pics limit - story cont'd next post)

Appreciate your response on that funky imposter P&W. I haunt 'the sites' for my toolroom lathe. It'll turn up Cazenueve, Graziano, Monarch, HES, Rivett maybe...not to mention un-spellable German or Swiss brands, before I buy a shrinking ray and shoot an Axelson, Dean Smith & Grace etc.

I participate in a few related sites, some where chinisium is prevalent. It's a job, elevating the lowly masses. But one of my favored/ best received posts concern DIY rigging. A giant Moak 36" bandsaw? Yup. A lower but wider 36" DoAll? Piece of cake.
Niagara gap shear? FormAll sheet metal brake? Bridgeport clones? Cincy ML? Rambaudi M3 40 taper? Punch Presses? Mohawk Drill grinder? K&T facemill grinder? Yes, Yes and plenty more.

Generally;
Knowing the machine configuration, I bring wood blocking along to lower mill knees on, keep inertia of that lead screw. Turn the head upside down. Run Y back close to column against a block, sometimes block up space between head and table. Lathes usually like carriage and tailstock parked far right, take off big chucks, and don't sling underneath without making sure the sling is not binding lead/ feed/ clutch rods...
But cranes or forklift booms aren't always available....
I [not good at recruiting] start with short pinch bars, little bites until high enough for rollers. Some of us refer to them as Egyptian rolling. Skates are better but way more height needed. One end up, it gets bandsawn aluminum wedges tapped in, so I can go work the other end. Aluminum and the sawn faces have just right amount of skid free grip, once floor is swept up, aiding rollers as well. But my no-longer secret is choice of rollers. If the base is wide and hollow, I use foosball table rods; no shit. The chrome finish even helps! I push or lever-hoist the load along, moving the rods forward as they exit. As I approach tilt bed, single axle 3500 lb trailer, I go to 1.0" rod, usually I can get front to see-saw on one foosball rod and kick the first one-incher underneath.

Switch from lever hoist; to DIY receiver mount 2-speed boat trailer winch with 30' of 3" webbing and 3/8" slip hook. Machines differ, so might hook and chain, endless sling, wrap the winch leader......whatever it takes to be secure and pull from way down l-o-w.
Vehicle in neutral, wheels rubber chocked, brake set, trailer chocked too. Spiffy part, as machine enters, the winch gives good feel and no backslide of the weight. Stretched web friendlier than chain or wire rope. No level wind issue, birdnest, twisting, or tumbling when chain piles up in the spool. Or handful of parted wire strands.......DAMHIKT.

Some occasions, like over dirt have another trick. Peeler cores; those 4" diameter centers of logs after skinning exterior for plywood. They don't care! Gravel, dirt, pebbles, snow DAMHIKTE. Not perfect straight or round but with 4-5 under a good amount of weight they still roll EASY! It's like the irregularities are a benefit. Still using first set of 8 logs. Cut three of them 5' long one time, shortened pieces make corners easier. I'd make a joke about spoilers and sway bars here.

An improvement lately, thick aluminum "threshold" that fix transition from ground plane over rear angle iron of trailer bed. They have a large radius, I sectioned heavy wall tubing so leading edge was not thin/ fragile and upper chord just higher then angle iron. I screwed some spare webbing to bottom and the end goes under angle iron, any weight on trailer holds them from sliding, then real secure as first roller climbs aboard.

Spiffy #2. I measure how long the load is and eyeball center of the weight, I watch that as it approaches point over axle when the tilt starts to tip up. The winch makes it very progressive. I manipulate a tongue jack [on trailer bed] and winch so there is no surprise descent. Back off trailer jack and winch forward for tongue weight watching bumper height and tires.
Then ratchet strap until the load looks tarped, lol. I use scrap carpet for dunnage on sharp edges, and webbed tube where straps rub each other.

And contrary to normal, it takes longer to do then write an accurate description. NYCGHIKT.

Back